Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

do all loaches eat all kinds of snails?

Started by RoxyDog, November 20, 2005, 04:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyDog

Will a kuhli loach eat a brig, spixi or nerite?  The snails are all at least dime to nickel sized, and do kuhlis even bother with snails?

Thanks.  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Mettle

They most definitely will. I've watched them eat their way into one side of an apple snail and out the other. It was quite interesting to see to be honest... It's like providing them with a huge meal. If you want to keep your snails alive avoid the loaches.

RoxyDog

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

CdnRednek

does that include adult snails with the shell??  I'd been told that they would be population control for babies, but not adults.  I was about to put an apple snail in with my yoyo loach.

Mettle

I've watched a khuli loach that was about 1"-1.5" long eat its way into an apple snail that was about 1" big itself. I'm going from experience here. It's not the be-all, end-all.

I've never owned a yo yo/paki loach. So I couldn't tell you.

Laura

Although I've heard that dojo's are big snail eaters.....I've had a large dojo/weather loach in with a larger snail without incident.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

luvfishies

Interesting. The people over at applesnail.net claim khulis and dojos are fine with larger snails.

I'd definately stay away from the botia family of loaches, including clown, yo-yo, skunk, etc as they will eat any and all kinds of snails.

RoxyDog

I'm thinking I'm not going to risk my snailiens until I actually witness a happy snail/khuli loach tank.  :)

Mettle

Quote from: "luvfishies"Interesting. The people over at applesnail.net claim khulis and dojos are fine with larger snails.

Well. All I know is what I've seen with my own two eyes. Maybe you should pass along my experience to them? Heh.

luvfishies

Quote from: "Mettle"
Quote from: "luvfishies"Interesting. The people over at applesnail.net claim khulis and dojos are fine with larger snails.

Well. All I know is what I've seen with my own two eyes. Maybe you should pass along my experience to them? Heh.

Absolutely! People need to know about this, for sure! Thanks for the info :D