Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Iridescent sharks

Started by littlelil, November 18, 2005, 11:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlelil

Does anyone know if Iridescent Sharks are afraid of light, or react poorly to some types of light?

I recently bought a new tank (30gal) that has duel fluorescent lights and every time i turn on the lights they hide in a corner together behind the plants! They react the same way to daylight (but not as much), too, but are very active at night in the dark. This was not their usual behaviour in their old tank (which had one fluorescent light. They've also stopped eating after the move. I don't if any of this was brought on by the change in water chemistry during the move becuase they only started hiding a few days ago. (the move happened 3 weeks ago)
Can anyone help me?

On a side note, my sharks are still up for sale.
Three of 'em at 4-5 inches each.

Thanks!

mseguin

They're catfish, which generally (but not always) means they will be more comfortable in the dark. Overall, ID sharks tend to just plain be very nervous fish, and chaning light would just increase it a bit.

littlelil

do you think they might die if this behaviour keeps up?

Will they get accustomed to the new tank and lighting soon and become active at all hours of the day like they used to be, or is there something i need to urgently do to avoid continued health decrease (besides the obvious fact that they need a bigger tank)?

mseguin

Not likely, unless it drove them to stop eating completely, or were showing severe stress.

aidensmomma2000

My mothers sharks are old and very blind- with their previous owner they kept getting spooked and because the tank was so small they were always banging into things.  :cry:

As long as they arent hurting themselves (not because the tank is too small right now, just because they spook easily) the might calm down soon.

littlelil

Jim

My synodontis does the same thing when i turn on the light.