Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY LED: strip or panel ???

Started by BOnaqua, March 09, 2013, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOnaqua

I got 12 Cree XT-E (Royal Blue) and 12 Cree CP-G (Cool White) all with 60° lenses.
I have two styles of heat sinks: 1 1/4" x 48" and 4 3/4" x 9".
(1 1/4" wide heat sink is actualy two 2 foot pieces screwed together to make a 4 footer.)

Should I go with a strip configuration (blue and whire side by side) or panel configuration (2 panels, 6+6 per panel, each centered over a half of tank.

By the way, my tank is a 75g 48"x18" base.

Any suggestions and comments are wellcome and appreciated.

Pogue

Hi BOnaqua,

I know this is an older post and no one else has replied on it. 
Can you tell me which decision you made and what the results are?
What did you learn along the way and if you would have changed anything?

I'm currently setting up a 75g reef tank and am making a LED light system as well.
I was thinking originally of doing 2 strips 1 white and 1 blue, but possibly doing 2 panel arrays.

It'd be great to hear about your experience.

Thanks
Pogue

Roland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=148hfJ_e-a4

It's been six months since the unit has been running. Reasonably maintenance free however the fuses on the parallel circuits have blown twice and I'm not sure why.  
32 Cree XT-E roylal blues
16 Cree XM-L cool whites
RBs run at 700mA using Meanwell ELN-60-48-d  There are 2 parallel circuits/driver each circuit has 2 series circuits of 8 LEDs in series. Hence the use of 1A fuses. I also added 1ohm3W resisters upon recommendation that way I can do any testing with a multi meter without doing damage to the LEDs.
CW are 8 LEDs in series/Meanwell ELN-60-27-d at 1000mA

LEDs are fixed to the slotted heatsinks with screws in insulated washers and thermal grease. This also allow for future upgrades due to future technological advances

Two 12"x8-1/4" slotted heat sinks from http://www.heatsinkusa.com/
I couldn't imagine drilling and tapping. It can be done but very tedious work.

I know wood and electricity is bad.