Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Co2 indicator & Flourish Excel

Started by ma_clement, November 28, 2013, 08:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ma_clement

Hi all

I have filamentous algae and I know the cause is low co2 levels (the co2 indicator shows that)

Just wondering if the co2 indicator will react (change color) to liquid carbon (flourish excel). I'm not that good in chemistry but I now liquid carbon is not co2 per se.

So I've been adding a bit of flourish for the last few days but the indicator does not change color

So the question is : Am i just not adding enough, or will the indicator never change color anyways

I know adding too much Excel can harm both fish and plants

I also know the best solution would be co2 injection, but I can't afford that just yet

thanks

charlie

Quote from: ma_clement on November 28, 2013, 08:22:50 PM
Hi all

I have filamentous algae and I know the cause is low co2 levels (the co2 indicator shows that)

Just wondering if the co2 indicator will react (change color) to liquid carbon (flourish excel). I'm not that good in chemistry but I now liquid carbon is not co2 per se.

So I've been adding a bit of flourish for the last few days but the indicator does not change color

So the question is : Am i just not adding enough, or will the indicator never change color anyways

I also know the best solution would be co2 injection, but I can't afford that just yet

thanks

the short answer is that the indicator will not work with any liquid carbon source
http://www.guitarfish.org/algae#hair
Regards

ma_clement

ok. good to know. thank you

Guess I should really invest in a Co2 setup

lucius

ma_clement

Yeah... I know about that.

But I don't have the patience (kind of a nice way to say I'm too lazy)

Between works, the kids and working on my masters, my brain is empty by the time I get to my tanks

charlie

Quote from: lucius on November 28, 2013, 09:06:20 PM
I've been using this CO2 / KH / pH relations table.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html
That don`t work with liquid carbon either
Short answer both drop checker & KH /PH charts works on the PH shift due to the effect of the CO2 acidic nature ( Carbonic acid. Flourish & similar liquid carbon supplements are totally different.
Regards

ma_clement

But unless the plants are uber rapid to absorb the carbon, won't the carbon naturally bond with with the o2 in the water to form co2?

exv152

Quote from: ma_clement on November 28, 2013, 08:22:50 PM

Liquid carbon won't change the colour in your drop checker, you can add the entire bottle, and the colour will remain the same. Liquid carbon (metricide) and CO2 are two different things.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Found this web site on glutaraldehyde, aka metricide, aka metrex, aka Exel, aka liquid carbon. And there's probably wayyyyyy more information here than anyone wants to read, eh?

http://www.prirodni-akvarium.cz/en/index.php?id=en_glutaraldehyde
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain