Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Discus Spawning (photo added of discus and eggs)

Started by rockgarden, November 18, 2005, 02:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockgarden

Switching from SW to FW from a minute or two, I need a bit of advice, guidance or counseling with respect to spawning discus.

My son's discus have spawned on a sword leaf in their 33 gallon tank (two days ago).  Parents are tending the eggs.  Up to this point in time other inhabitants of the tank seem to be minding their own business. The other inhabitants of the tank are two rather large plecos (7" or so) and a cory.  Tank is fully planted with gravel and mopani, etc and is low pH. Filtration is by external canister with spray bar return.

Suggestions?   Should I leave things as they are?  Should I try removing the plecos (a tank disturbing process).  Should I remove the eggs (what then?) If eggs hatch successfully as I expect they might (possible pleco attack notwithstanding),  will canister suck the youg away (what options) or will the plecos make a quick meal of the young, etc.

All suggestions welcome, I think.  :roll:

Ron

Evan

How do the eggs look? Can you see little black spots in them yet?

I would say leave it as it is and wait and see how long they last.  some people let their discus raise to free swimmers a couple times in the community tank before they move them.

They will spawn many many more times.  If you want to try raising some move the Discus to another tank with a different filter.

aidensmomma2000

I would leave them be, its not uncommon for the parents to need a few tries before they get it right.

Mettle

And I personally wouldn't have those plecos in there with the discus anyway. Depending on the species of plecos they might actually harm the discus by attaching themselves to the discus while the discus sleep, stripping away slime coating and doing some serious damage... A latent fear of mine.

rockgarden

A picture update of the events in the discus world.

Julie

Awesome - looks like you have some fertile eggs there - how long has it been?  The parent is fanning (oxygenating) the eggs to prevent fungus.  The white ones will not hatch and likely will be eaten by the parent.

Julie

rockgarden

Just got back form Toronto trip.  NO eggs visible.  NO fry visible.  Parents still looking frisky. Maybe next time we'll get to the fry stage.

Ron