Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Porcupine Puffers

Started by sarahbella, November 23, 2005, 10:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarahbella

I've been doing a lot of reading over the past couple days on this fish so i thought id share.  If you have 10-15yrs to commit to one fish this could be the pet for you.  Amazing.  They recognize faces, have personalities, beg for food and my goodness they are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!  If anyone here has one id LOVE to hear about it!!!  

http://www.porcupinepuffer.com/puffers/

mseguin

Well I don't have one myself, but at BA Innes we have two of them that are our store pets. Great fish, tons of personality. Very aggressive lol, and will tear up a goldfish in half a second. Can also bite through a crayfish in a single bite. I've also seen them blown up a couple times, hilarious to see.

luvfishies

Awwww, porcupines are adorable! I had mine for over 2 years, and he was way more than "just a fish". Outgoing, adorable personality, and ate just about anything I put into his tank!

Remember, there are a couple of different "porcupine puffers" available, and one does get larger than the other. Either one of them will need a tank WIDE enough for them, 18" minimum, 24" preferably. So you're looking at a 90g tank, minimum. They can grow up to a foot long IN THE FIRST YEAR!

They're messy, so a good protien skimmer is a must. Lots of live rock is good, too, to handle the biofiltration.

Porky was just a wee little thing when this picture was taken. I'm really going to have to get another one.....adorable fish!