Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ogdensburg, NY

Started by AdamR, November 20, 2005, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamR

A few people have talked about shipping stuff to Ogdensburg and then picking it up?  Are there any good fish stores in Ogdensburg?

kennyman

"No Mrs. Customs agent I did not know I had to declare this stuff". "What is the duty on $1000 worth of aquarium equipment"?  lol!

Glenn

Where do you get it shipped to?  Get a PO Box there?

rkmike

I've had a bunch of stuff that's not available in Canada shipped there.

The UPS Store across from the wallymart accepts deliveries for a small handling charge of $5. I've only ever had to pay the gst and pst on stuff I've brought back. I've never had livestock shipped, only drygoods. I dp try to buy local as much as possible, but sometimes a deal is too good to pass up. A lot of american mail order shops offer free shipping to the lower 48.

Before you buy, remember that you have to factor in gas cost, the $5 UPS handling fee, gst and pst, the shipping costs to Ogdensburg and the US exchange rate. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not, up to you to decide.

repeej

The UPS Store # 2946
2981 FORD ST EXTENSION
OGDENSBURG, NY 13669-3474 - USA
Phone: (315)393-1188

As stated,  it's not always cheaper buying from the US, but with the way the CDN dollar is faring these days I'm sure there is some money to be saved by going this route.

I've used this method of shipping for automotive parts MANY times.

AdamR

Thanks, I was looking for a store to go into, I like to talk to people.

A few years ago I went to a store across the border from Montreal to get all of my scuba gear, I declared everything, split the travel with a friend, paid duty and taxes.

Total from US  ~ $3000.
Estimated total from stores in Montreal ~$7000

Was it worth it? I think so.  I'm going sw so I have a few things to buy and they add up fast.

frollo

Thanks repreej for the UPS address. I often see great deals on US sites that offer free shipping only to the US, then I often think...gee wouldn't it be nice if I could just get is shipped close to the 49th parallel and pick it up. Normally I am a buy locally and buy Canadian, but when it ends up 40% cheaper (factoring in exchange and duties), it's all down to economics. When I work hard for my $, I want to get good bang for my buck.

StylinT

I live right across from Ogdensburg an I have never really botherd to get stuff except gas in NY
I bought cat food there once an they gave me huge problem cause there was beef in it