Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Catfish Lovers?

Started by Mettle, November 24, 2005, 01:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

Who out there is a catfish lover? I certainly am.

One of my favourite types of catfish that I've owned was my striped raphael catfish. He was secretive, but peaceful, and it was always a pleasure to see him during feeding time. I've also owned a few plecos in my time. The most beautiful being a royal pleco given to me by a friend who was moving out of the country and was getting rid of everything he had in his tank. That was one gorgeous fish! I also had an 11" pleco at one point. He was a monster... And of course there's the fabulous cories! These guys are great entertainment.

I'm intrigued by catfish I guess. There's so many interesting ones out there. Unfrotuantely many get quite large and are not manageable to keep in the home aquarium. (Red tail cats come to mind.)

I was just curious who out there was also into catfish and what they were keeping. Anyone with a 'catfish tank'? Or a pleco tank?

mseguin

Personally, I'm a big fan of cories, and banjo catfish. I love cories playfullness and activity, and I banjos are just hilarious, if not quite so active.

NjOyRiD

I dunno, my spotted raphael Catifsh is boring, I never seem him, doesnt come out at feeding time..its been 5 years i think i have him now...just boring fish LOL

But for my corydoras, wow, diferent story, they are fun to watch going...i dont know for yours but mine goest at surface for oxygene i guess and splash big time :) its just cool
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Aiglos

I have an eclipse (burmese sun ) catfish  and he is nuts;  he follows all the fish in the tank right underneath them hoping they drop food; its hilarious; it drives my oscar CRAZY he start slamming into stuff and chasing him all over the place its great.  My pleco is about 12" and has just started getting crazy, I think its because he is constantly hungry now, because as a younger pleco he would just sit there and only come out at night.  

I would love to get a HUGE school of corydoras;  I really want sterbai cories' but refuse to pay all that money for them, I don't understand why they are so expensive

oenology

I just took this picture last night: My featherfin, one multipunctatus and a common pleco - plus a cyprichromis checking out the action.

PaleoFishGirl

My last tank was a catfish tank.  I just love those guys!  I had several Aeneus and panda cories, a cool school of glass cats, a gorgeous whiptail, and I don't even remember what else  :oops:

Now my only Siluriformes are banjo cats - they are pretty cool, especially since they started coming out for food in the morning.   For the first month or so that I had them, I wasn't sure how many were still alive.   In that month I saw one - once.  No joke.  I was pretty confident that they were alive, as I never found anyone a-floating.  Now they come out every morning because that's the only time I feed them.  There is maybe only a fin or a tail sticking up out of the gravel the rest of the time.

sarahbella

Catfish are fun, i have had a pleco for a couple years.. just a common one.  He's different from others that ive had, he prefers being out in the light rather than hidden away.  I plan to get an upside down catfish sooner or later..

oenology you have yourself a beautiful family of plecos there.  I know they are different but they really do look like mama, papa, & baby ...

Mettle

Quote from: "Aiglos"I would love to get a HUGE school of corydoras;  I really want sterbai cories' but refuse to pay all that money for them, I don't understand why they are so expensive

I have sterbais. They're so gorgeous. Costed a bit more but worth the money in my opinion.

I find my clown loaches and cories play together. It's quite odd, heh.

pegasus

Nice shot oenology! What kind of glue did you use?
I'm growing some Snowball plecos for breeding. (fingers crossed)
And there's a cory breeder in our breeder's group.

maitre007

I have a flock of 7 Synodontis multipunctatus in my 125 tank with my cichlids and I think they are very interesting to watch.  Even though it was done on a gradual base, they were quite the expensive addition but well worth it.

I am almost tempted to go to the mtl auction to see if I can't pick up a few other ones.  Then again ... they don't go for cheap at the auction so I might as well wait for Big Al's boxing day sale.

oenology

Quote from: "maitre007"I have a flock of 7 Synodontis multipunctatus in my 125 tank with my cichlids and I think they are very interesting to watch.  Even though it was done on a gradual base, they were quite the expensive addition but well worth it.

I am almost tempted to go to the mtl auction to see if I can't pick up a few other ones.  Then again ... they don't go for cheap at the auction so I might as well wait for Big Al's boxing day sale.

I bought that adult featherfin at the SAM last year for $9.  There was a guy last year who was shutting down his tanks. He had some really exotic synodontis that he had imported - starting bid was $45 if I recall.

darkdep

Quote from: "maitre007"I have a flock of 7 Synodontis multipunctatus in my 125 tank with my cichlids and I think they are very interesting to watch.  Even though it was done on a gradual base, they were quite the expensive addition but well worth it.

I've only got a single Multipunctatus but he's great.  I'd love to get a flock like you have so I could see a little more of him/them...but they are really hard to find at a respectable price.

rockgarden

Sorry folks nothing exciting or exotic in my catfish tank, just C. aneus and a few cherry barbs and glow light tetras.  Tank is 3 feet long, 12" in width and 12 " in height and made of glass shelving from the Sangster's Health Food store that moved out of Bayshore Mall about year ago.  Nothing fancy. Hangs on wall hangers in my basement above my reef tank.  Subdued lighting (2 x 15 watt compact spirals) is barely sufficient to keep an amazon sword alive and growing and a good density of java moss.  The cats spawn whenever they want to and multiple generations coexist in the tank.  When things get a bit crowded they come to OVAS three to a bag.  Otherwise, I just enjoy watching this schooling catfish move around the tank in schools.

Ron

squeeker

Goldfish are catfish!   :lol:

I also have weather loaches, 3 of them.  They're incredibly active little guys!

mchagel

have you guys(and gals) tried this site for plecos. I think it is great and amazing. I knew there were lots of plecos, but the range of colors and shapes is wild.

mchagel

mseguin

oenology

Quote from: "squeeker"Goldfish are catfish!   :lol:

I also have weather loaches, 3 of them.  They're incredibly active little guys!
I just recently lost my weather loach and he wasn't such a little guy! He was 9" long!