New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Questions of cichlids, dwarf puffers and heaters take 2

Started by zippity, November 24, 2005, 12:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippity

I am about to introduce African cichlids to a 29 gal tank, can you tell me approx. how many I can house in this tank? Also do I need to do anything different for testing or adding to the water before I introduce? Secondly I stupidly broke a marineland heater inside the tank, is this harmful to the water? Also I have a 5.5 gal tank to put 2 dwarf puffers in, is this good? I added salt to the water, when do I add more.....during the next water changes? There kept it shorter.

Thanks, Terry

Mettle

On the note of the dwarf puffers. There's no reason to add salt to their water, period. They're a fresh water species of fish and don't require any salt.

darkdep

"How many african cichlids" depends a lot on which ones.  You want to stick to smaller ones for a tank of that size, ideally ones that are 4-6" or less, and only about 6 of them.  Again that's a generalization...

Do you have any idea what species you're interested in?  If you can post that, we can help give a better suggestion.

zippity

As for the dwarf puffers, i am told by all pet stores they are a brackish fish and must be kept with some salt intake in the tank, so now i am more confused than ever.

As for which species i do know there are 3 types from the lake malawi region but god knows if i can pronounce them as of yet let alone spell it, so i will go back to the store and write the names down to get back to you on that one.

Thanks.

darkdep

hehe Don't worry about pronounciation...when I got into this hobby I thought everyone was nuts for using the scientific names of the fish!  But then, slowly over time, I realized I was doing it too.

Just get the second part of the names if you're writing them down; the African guys on here will know what you're talking about :)

mseguin

Dwarf puffers are definitely not brackish, they're fresh. Greenspot and Figure 8 puffer are brackish (among others)

sarahbella

zippity

Sarahbella, thanks for that awesome link about puffers, repeej, same to you about the info on cichlids and my 29 gal, and mettle you too were right about puffers, hence why i look to better answers off this site than joe schmo's working in local pet shops.

Jim

:lol:

well mettle works at super pet.

Not all are shmoes  :)

zippity

Well now dont i feel like a schmuck, for it was a superpet representative that i got most of my info from, ooops better watch what i say from now on, lol.

Jim

Quote from: "zippity"Well now dont i feel like a schmuck, for it was a superpet representative that i got most of my info from, ooops better watch what i say from now on, lol.

I'm sure they won't mind!

Mettle

I've caught a former co-worker of mine trying to tell someone they needed salt in the water with the puffers. :? I was annoyed and promptly set him straight.

And Matt - the only true brackish puffer to my knowledge is the figure 8. GSPs need to transition to full marine eventually to live out a healthy life. (But this comes down to my 'surviving' versus 'thriving' rants, I guess.)

And yes - I'm one of those schmoes from the pet store. :lol: Don't worry though, there's tons that I have no clue about. (But I always tell customers that. Honesty is the best way to conduct yourself. I never worry about sales targets.)

mseguin

Fair enough, although I think there are a number of African puffers that live in brackish/marine water, and a few S. Americans that will sruvive in brackish.