New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Heater explosion

Started by Nerine, November 05, 2014, 02:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Well.

My stealth bit the dust. It wasn't that old either...maybe a year or two? maximum. I'm finding heaters aren't lasting as long???

The heater was burst at the seams, white goo was leaking out (corrosion??) and it was all melted...

I did a 90% water change...and put on a new heater...wow. I've had glass ones break and all sorts of crazy heater mishaps, but never a stealth pop!!! And no, I didn't put ice water in when it was hot, nor did I plug it in after putting it in right away. It had been in the tank, running on a low setting the entire time. When I noticed my tank was 52F... o_O I ran out right away to buy new heaters. because as luck would have it, I DONT HAVE SPARES AHHHHH

Oh well. Fish don't seem worse for wear...it's been a day now, we shall see!! the new heater is working well and I added slightly warmer water than 52F back in the tank o_O yikes.

Oh fishes!!

On another note, I had a freak out when I noticed my more expensive glass one (forget the brand now, but remember it was expensive hahahaha) WAS NOT WORKING!! so turns out it just wasn't plugged in all the way. whew. I can't afford any more heaters!!!

I had to post a few spare tanks for sale to recoup my costs of the heater :( boo. but it's ok...I'm letting go of the last of the two small tanks hahaha good by everything under 55!!!!! (ok, I lied. I'm hanging on to two 10's and two 5's because those are insanely expensive and I like them, they just happen to have lizards in them at the moment, no fish)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

charlie

The Stealth heaters had a recall some 3 years ago for that exact issue, Big Al`s had notices posted in the store & was exchanging them without receipts, not sure if it is still happening, but you may to check both Big Al`s & Marineland.
Errol

robt18

How on earth did it get down to 52???? Is the tank outside?

exv152

Here are details of the recall, I took mine back to BAs and they gave me a replacement heater of my choice.
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2011/Aquarium-Heaters-Recalled-by-United-Pet-Group-Due-to-Fire-and-Laceration-Hazards/
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Nerine

Oohh, thanks Errol and exv!!! I remember seeing something about that, but I'm pretty sure I purchased it after the recall??? have been looking for my receipt haha but will ask them :)

the tank got down to 52 because we are all refusing to turn the heat on in the house :P hahahaha I paid way too much in propane last year and we are all being super stubborn. the only ones who have heat: fish, reptiles & plants...yes my plants have heating pads ugh. Lots of blankets, styrofoam to keep the animals/plants warm!!!! and we are walking around with jackets. sigh!! Going to have to give in soon and turn it on...at the moment the house is holding at 16c during the day!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Nerine

Just read the article...my model number is on the recall list! oops. Maybe It was from 2011???? I didn't think it was that old haha but even still it's not THAT old