Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Wild bettas

Started by mm, April 04, 2015, 06:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexx

Wow, those are absolutely gorgeous! Great find mm.

missavgp

lol Thanks for the shout out. :-) I am a little obsessed with the wilds right now and can't wait for the betta talk from Catherine Salmon at the next meeting.

Those are some very lovely bettas. They are one of only two in the betta coccina complex that are not red, the other being betta persephone. I have heard that they can be quite aggressive when pairing up, but I thin kone of the neatest things about them is that they are submerged bubblenesters, not surface bubblenesters like betta splendens.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

fishy friend

Bettas are one of my all time favourite fish. Love all the different types and colour variations. Currently have two males. Have been fighting the urge to purchase more. May pick up some females in the future, need to learn more first. Thank you for sharing the article on wild bettas.

Lexx

There is a pair on aquabid for $35 American, right now. It would be nice but by the time you get them here it's like $100. If it was later in the summer I would possibly jump at it! Maybe later, when I have more experience doing things properly!

101DalmatianMollies

Stunning animals! Thanks for sharing! I didn't know there were wild strains :D

missavgp

There are many wild strains of bettas. If you want to see some of the others, check out the IBC SMP (International Betta Congress Species Management Program)
http://smp.ibcbettas.org/species/index.html
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive