New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

BN Pleco in malawi tank

Started by srenka, November 27, 2005, 02:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srenka

I just added a BN pleco  to a Malawi tank and he seems to be bothered by the other fish a little.  He has plenty of places to hide and now doesn’t come out at all.  Would he be any better if I added more plecos?

The 55g tank has 5 Yellow Labs, 5 saulosi, 3 c. Afra

Srenka

Jim

Do you want the pleco to be seen more?

They usually don't like light and only come out when its dark.

darkdep

Yeah, you're not likely to see much of your pleco in that tank.

I almost never see mine.

Mettle

Plecos, unless giants, are not fish you'll see a lot of.

Your best bet, if you want to glimpse him, would be to invest in moonlights. Most catfish are nocturnal and will only come out at night.

srenka

Quote from: "Mettle"Plecos, unless giants, are not fish you'll see a lot of.

Your best bet, if you want to glimpse him, would be to invest in moonlights. Most catfish are nocturnal and will only come out at night.

Moonlights that's actinic?  One of my lights is PC 50/50, but that is probably still too bright.

sarenka

darkdep

Moonlights would be some kind of blue LED or cold cathode tube setup that puts a very slight blue light in the tank.  Apparantly the inhabitants perceive it as "moon light", hence the name.

srenka

Well it seems that the pleco is becoming accustomed to the surroundings, it isn’t bothered by the cichlids that much, and then seems to be able to chase them away.  He now comes out every morning to roam the open areas of the aquarium.  Great little guy.  Pict attached.

Sarenka