Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cichlid feedback for new tank setup

Started by Jennywrenn, December 19, 2005, 11:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennywrenn

Ok, done some research after asking some questions, and getting good answers here, I'm back for more.

After consideration of my water, I have that at least one of my new tanks (have 2x20 gal and a 40 gal wide) will be cichlids.
Did some research online, looking for easy to raise (for a beginner like me), and not too terribly aggressive to other fish, as well as beauty.
I'm a girl, and they gotta be somewhat pretty, or no matter what the personality, it won't enter the house.
I'm sure, in later years, I will have less pretty fish, for more interesting behaviour fish....but not yet.

OK, from looking at fish, the ph needs and water hardness (ph hovers around 7.4 out of tap to 7.8 in tank, hardness over 200 for kh and over 300 for gh- except in the tank with the big hunk of driftwood)
( I don't want to have to fuss bringing down the ph and hardness, when I am fighting my natural water chemistry- well water in country)

Looking at (from www.cichlid-forum.com)
Haplochromis sp. "All Red" Lake Edward
(a beauty fish, lives among plants around lake perimiter, maternal mouth brooder, max size 6", peaceful)
How many, just a pair, or does male need more than 1 female?

Labidochromis caeruleus (are these the yellow lab fry for sale I see every so often on this site?)
max size 5", peaceful, mouthbrooder, sediment rich, rocky habitat, lake Malawi.

and possibly Haplochromis sp. "Ruby green" not sure what region, says unconfirmed, Lake Kyoga
mouthbrooder, mildly aggressive, max size 3.75"
Did not say what kind of substrate it likes, or prefers.
Did say it is an "epiphytic scraper'.....????? what is this?

I know there are lots of cichlid fans out there, and I appreciate any suggestions, things you wish you knew at the start etc.

I want the tank to have colour and activity.

also, tank mates in terms of cleaners, other school fish for distraction etc.... please?

and if no one here currently breeds these, are they available reasonably local?

Many thanks in advance,
Jennifer

darkdep

Always happy to see (and meet!) another Cichlid startup :)  Although technically, you should say "African" as there are also South american, central american, and other types of cichlids.  The ones you're looking at are all African.

Some suggestions for you, as I'm a big African guy...

Avoid the Haps (anything that starts with "Haplochromis".  Haps are "open water" fish; although you may be able to keep tiny ones in your 20-40 gal tanks for a while, they simply will not be happy in quarters that cramped.  This isn't because of size, it's because of their nature.  

Yellow Labs, which ARE the ones you're seeing for sale here, are an EXCELLENT choice for the first time African keeper.  They are peaceful, very attractive, easy to feed (omnivore), and are generally extremely forgiving of any "mistakes" in beginner setups.  They don't fight with anything, but will defend themselves if picked on.  A great fish all around, and also happen to be fairly cheap.

I would recommend you start with "classic" Mbuna type fish.  You will see this term used to classify a certain group of mainly herbivorous fish with a similar body shape, and are happiest in a very rocky setup with lots of caves.  Since you're talking about smaller tanks, you should aim for smaller fish; "technically" 20 gal is too small for anything but "dwarf" cichlids or shelldwellers; but then we're leaving African territory for a whole new world.  In your 40 you'd be ok with a small group of small Africans, I would probably recommend Yellow Labs and only 1 other species, probably something in blue (Demasoni come to mind because they're very pretty, and small, but those you need a larger group for them to be happy).

Wow I just read my post and you're probably no furthur along from my rambling.  

How bout this for a simpler suggestion:  Use your 40; Get 3 Yellow Labs to start with (if you CAN, get 1m2f), set up the rocks, and let that settle in.  While this is going on, keep researching a companion fish.

kennyman

Tank raised fish are probly more adaptabled to local water than F0's or imported F1's. I think if you buy local raised fish youll have no worries about hardness or ph. I am out in the country with a well and my Mbuna do just fine in untreated water. However If your running a softner you might want to use a tap before it hits the softner.

A good thing about yellow labs,  socoloffli and some others is the female fish are coloured up good. Most mbuna the females are drab and they make up 75% of the fish in your tank.

BigDaddy

Split the other posts into new thread

pegasus

QuoteHow bout this for a simpler suggestion: Use your 40; Get 3 Yellow Labs to start with (if you CAN, get 1m2f), set up the rocks, and let that settle in. While this is going on, keep researching a companion fish.
I'd go for that.... but if you have your heart on some hap then I'd get one pair but that it, no more fish. (The haps would prefer a taller tank)
Also notice there was no mention about your 20 gal tanks. For them look more into 3-4 Tanganykans of the same specie like some Julichromis, Neolamprologus or shelldwellers.

Jennywrenn

Of the couple of haps I saw online, I would want to see them in person before I set my heart on them for sure.
I know the yellow's, I've seen them. And the blue socolofi, they are pretty as they are too.
However, the haps I saw, at least the one, couldn't possibly be the bright colors it shows. If it truly is....then I would highly consider getting them alone.
If not as bright as I hoped, then I would go the other way.
Now, this may just be the beginning of 'how many different kinds of cichlids can one person have' ...syndrome....well, time will tell.
Thanks for all the info/feedback. It is greatly appreciated! I really don't want to go get jsut some pretty fish, and then watch them kill each other because they don't get along. That would be awful! Notwithstanding, I may see some competition in my tank anyway, but at least I've read up on some of the ones I am considering and know much more about them now than I did even a week or two ago.
Cheers
Jenny

darkdep

"How many kinds of cichlids can one person have"...hehe

Pegasus probably has more than anyone I know  :)

You can't keep em all tho.  There are just too many.

pegasus

QuotePegasus probably has more than anyone I know
And I was suppose to stop at 6 species. LOL Its always the same excuse... just this one more. I promise, after the Placidochromis I'll be satisfied.  :roll:

Jennywrenn

yep, and I see it happened the same way with tanks
"...just one more, there's room over there for it....."

Amazing this, we can't even pet them and we love to keep them.
At least with my birds I can talk to them, they talk back, I can rub their head, same with the dog....
LOL

darkdep

Jenny:  My cobalts eat from my hand, and all my fish get excited when they see me.  And they run and hide from my kids (who can blame them).  They still know who their owner is, even if you can't sit them on your shoulder.  :)

And Pegasus:  I have some catching up to do, I most definetly will NOT be stopping with the Placidochromis :lol: