Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Now a card carrying member!

Started by Mettle, December 15, 2005, 08:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

So... It took me a while ( :oops: ), but when I found out I could do it online through Paypal, I got my OVAS membership!

We're allowed to laminate the card if we want, right? To preserve it?

Also.

In terms of Big Al's, does the 15% off count towards bare tanks? And what qualifies as a 'kit'?

luvfishies

Congrats on being an OVAS member!

Reminds me, I best renew ;)

mseguin

Bare tanks qualify yes. As for kits, I'm pretty sure its both the stand and tank kits and the Marineland kits.

NjOyRiD

are you sure for bare tanks?!
she didnt give it to me, and also for plants?!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

darkdep

According to the ovas discounts page:

Discount available at the above stores only, no discount when ordering online. You get 15% off of all items except aquarium kits.

squeeker

I really doubt you get it on bare tanks.  Heck, I don't even get a staff discount on bare tanks!

Aiglos

why wouldn't they give you a staff discount on bare tanks?  I never understood that.

Aiglos

I'm just thinking about all the money I spend when I go to superpet.   Rarely do I leave without having spent 200+ dollars between fish/dog/cat supplies.  There is no way a large store like that is not making enough money to give there employees a break.  

I mean if they have fish tanks, they are more likely to be more interested in fish and be better and more knoledgable employees.

repeej

I never got a discount on my 55gallon tank purchased at Big Al's (Kanata).  They only gave me the discount on the stand and glass top.

Even the employee told me he doesn't get discounts on tanks.

squeeker

we don't get a discount on glass tanks because the store markup is nil.  Therefore, the store would lose money!  

We do get a discount on kits, though.

Aiglos

Why would the store sell tanks if they could not mark them up ?

I don't understand that.

repeej

They make money on all the accessories I guess.

Shouganai

Its because there is a HUGE markup on all the other products (for SP at least).

Its true, there is pretty much no markup/profit on bare tanks. SP only sells Hagen, and the reason why Hagen tanks are sold for the prices they are was explained to me by someone a while back.. though I am horrible at explaining things..

Apparently Hagen has employed the same group of people to build their tanks for a pretty long time.  Its gotten to the point where its like General Motors, and they get paid VERY well, and you can't get a job there unless you KNOW someone. I don't know if its a union thing or what, but its why Hagen's tanks are often a bit more pricey.. apparently (and I don't know if this is true), they have some of the best aquarium craftsmen in the business, who demand a higher wage rate, making the tanks cost a bit more.

But thats just what I was told, and not by Hagen reps!

Mettle

I was also told... For some of Hagen's larger setups they've actually employed people with artistic and interior design specialties to design the actual tank. And then they've cross-referenced it with people in charge of making sure the tanks are actually stable. I don't know how true this is. But it's what I've heard...

I'm sure that would add to the cost of some of the tanks.

mseguin

Myabe I'm wrong, but I thought if you just buy a tank u get a discount, but maybe not. Anyway, yeah its because the markup on tanks is very very low, but u can't really have a baretank sitting at home, you've gotta fill it with stuff, and that's where money is made.

Aiglos

Great explaination everyone.  Im satisfied with that.