New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Board down...

Started by darkdep, January 12, 2006, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Any idea what was wrong this morning?  I could PM but not access the forums...SQL Server issue?

repeej

tell me about it....i was starting to get all twitchy.

darkdep

Me too.  Whenever I'm loading something or doing some operation that requires some time to process, I refresh Ovas on one of my boxes here.  I had nothing to do this morning :)

artw

there was a problem with the server. Clearly its fixed now.

Marc

It seems to be a problem with the server running out of disk storage and while doing storing SQL data and it usually seems to happen overnight.

It's fixed for now but may reoccur.  It's one of the things that can happen when keepings cost to a minimum.  

We are working on fixing it for good but it's not completely under our ccontrol.

Marc

I should add for you other techno-savvy people out there that the problem occurs overnight and messes up the mySQL tables which stay messed up and un-readable until I run a repair on the tables.

s0me

Perhaps instead of a nightly cronjob for your backups you could limit it to a weekly? This would put less strain on the server and disk space. You can always do a manual backup and store your sql dump offsite which is highly recommended.

i.e. mysqldump --opt -u $DBUSER -p $DBPASS $DBNAME > backup.sql (replacing the obvious)

BigDaddy

I don't think potentially losing a week's worth of data is an option.

darkdep

s0me

Weekly was simply a "suggestion" not an option. You can change it to your own discretion.

Marc

It's not OVAS backups causing the problem but it has been confirmed that it is a lack of disk storage.  

OVAS rents out server space from RelativeData (David Patte)who rents out a virtual server.  David has been letting OVAS use the server space almost for free out of the goodness of his heart but if the OVAS website ends up hampering his websites that isn't fair to him.

I am currently talking to David to see what we can/should do.  I'll keep you updated.

BigDaddy

Anybody else getting this when trying to hit the Classifieds?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 3252004 bytes) in /var/www/html/bridge/phpBB/includes/prune.php on line 70

I can get to Aquatic and the lounge.. but not classifieds.

mseguin

Iwas for a while but its apparently cleared up.