Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Photos - June Meeting (U of O Aquatic Facilities)

Started by PaleoFishGirl, June 26, 2006, 10:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

We had an excellent time at tonight's meeting (and before and after as well)!!

We toured the goldfish, rainbow trout, Xenopus frog, lungfish, knifefish and zebra danio facilities.  Everything there is done on a rather large scale!  It was fun to see.

Thanks to Alain for setting it all up!

Enjoy the pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]

PaleoFishGirl

PaleoFishGirl

still more photos...

PaleoFishGirl

and... yep! More photos!

PaleoFishGirl

There's always someone I miss... Shouganai, looks like you escaped the lens this time :D

darkdep

Best pic:  SeanC with his usual "stop looking at me" face :)  It seems he always has that face in pictures :)

Seanc

no i'm not emo at all, so stop calling me EMO!!!!!

babblefish1960

Doesn't seanc get so emotional when you call him emo...hmmm, sounds emo to me. ;)

Tanks Alain, it was a very interesting tour, a somewhat educational place. :D

Seanc

hey you obviously went listening to the guy there PFG! thoughs big white things wern't heaters. remember he said that it was easyer to heat the rooms? thoughs are huge RO unit.

yeah and i need that CO2 unit for my tank, it would last 5 years, maybe more.

babblefish1960

Hah! Neither of you were listening, the things that looked like hot water tanks were the RO units, and the very large white wrapped pressure vessels were solely to remove chloramine from the system water, of which he said was filled with very fine carbon and cost roughly $12,000 to recharge when they expired.

The silly part was when they had to oxygenate the water because absolutely everything gets stripped out of the water, very noisy oxygenators.

Most of the fish rooms were in darkness and so I finally got to see the fish we were looking at here with PDFG's pictures. She probably woke them out of rem sleep with her lightening flash and thunderous laughter. ;D

Underwater

ha! Babel aced the fish quiz.  You get a gold star next to your name!

PaleoFishGirl

I was *trying* to pay attention, I really was :(  I just get distracted easily.  Add some beer to the mix and, well, you're lucky some of the captions are correct :)

Seanc

i knew that bable, that is an insane amount of carbon, and they had two! i was talking about the three containers that look like hot water heaters, but they are actualy RO units. yeah that is one filtering system, i'm suprised they don't filter out the water too!

babblefish1960

It was indeed a most fascinating mechanical room, I am very curious about the upcoming fish steam they are planning. It sounds big, next time though, having actually lit rooms might be more helpful. Thanks again Alain, and keep your ear out for their expansion.