Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Q - moving to a new tank

Started by RedFish, September 10, 2006, 10:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFish

I have a few fish in a 10 gallon and have a new 30 gallon I want to move them into.
I searched the forum and found I don't need to cycle the new tank if I move all the original rocks, plants, filter etc into the new larger tank.
How long should I wait before adding any new fish, I figured a couple of months ?

jee

2 days... maybe 3 whit the ammonia spikes..

RedFish

Oh thats quick - I have lots of patience, I will wait a week and add slowly - thank you!

darkdep

Ideally you'll move the seeded filter over; the rocks, decorations, etc are a bonus (as the nitrifying bacteria do grow on everything in the tank). 

You'll be fine with a day or two.  Add a couple fish at a time and you'll have no problems.

RedFish

Yes I will move the seeded filter, I will also need to put in another filter as the one from the 10 gallon won't be enough.   I will put new gravel in the bottom, with the "old" stuff on top.
Thank you for the confirmation, makes me confident in the new setup.
Once I know the fish are happy in the new home, I have decided to add more harlequin rasboras and some cories, and that will make a nice visual.