Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can turtles and Oscar fish be housed together?

Started by zookeeper, September 07, 2006, 09:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zookeeper

What do you guys think? Can a turtle and Oscar fish be housed together?

Julie

mseguin

I doubt they would get along very well, and it would be a VERY messy tank. Would need lots of overfiltering.

zookeeper

Mettle

One would end up killing the other, depending on the type of turtle and its size in relation to the oscar.

Any fish housed with a turtle is fair game for food.

If the fish is large and aggressive, it's reversed.

Best to keep them separate.

Out of curiousity, what type of turtle were you thinking about?

NjOyRiD

i have convict cichlid i nthe tank with th turltes, it works fine, but i have a rocky set up so they can hide inside
I have no prob at all except when convict breed, they will be toss around
Turtles never never chase the fish!

I tryed platies, didnt work :(

i have red hear sliders by the way
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Mettle

Some people have also done various Africans with turtles as well. Again, you need a rocky set up and places for those Africans to hide.

I'd never be able to do it in my tanks as they're bare bottomed and I don't have much in terms of decorations.

I do toss in guppies or platies or neons once in a while. When I can find them 5 for $5 kind of thing on sale. But I know full well they're going to be food eventually.