Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Ceramic Holey Rock

Started by Shrimpy, October 13, 2006, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrimpy

darkdep

Haven't tried it, but I'll make it a weekend project if you can hook me up with the kiln :)

Does your kiln-person charge?

Not knowing anything about clay, I'm assuming you can't simply use your kitchen oven as a kiln?

Shrimpy

Quote from: DarkDep on October 13, 2006, 01:56:25 PM
Haven't tried it, but I'll make it a weekend project if you can hook me up with the kiln :)

Does your kiln-person charge?

Not knowing anything about clay, I'm assuming you can't simply use your kitchen oven as a kiln?

I'll have to find out if she would charge. It is a lady on my street who does pottery as a hobby. I'm sure I could get her to make some rock for a little $$$.

Not sure about the oven. I don't think they get hot enough.

Jason

I'd be in on trying it as well some weekend. If you can organize something count me in.
135g - Malawi Cichlid Tank
120g - Soon to be planted community tank
108g - Planted tropical tank

mila

I just call Art supply store, 231 Bank str, they have Plasticine, nontoxic clay, different colors.

PaleoFishGirl

Hasn't anyone noticed that the 'rock' isn't, um, very attractive? Maybe it's just my 'girl' perspective, but...

darkdep

Well, if you like the look of Texas Holey Rock, you will like these...it looks very similar.

PaleoFishGirl

I have to disagree... but I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

feral

If you haven't rolled all the air bubbles out of it when you go to bake the clay the air bubbles can explode and ruin everything else in the kiln.  Most highschools ahve kilns.  You could talke to a teacher and ask.

Steve_2

About the normal oven, that wont work as it does not get hot enough. Not to mention that the kiln has to be left on for a long amount of time. Yup...most highschools have a kiln. The good thing if you don't like the whitish look of the "rocks" pictured on the website is that there are many different types of clay that are all sifferent colours and shades.

Mettle

Quote from: Mila on October 13, 2006, 02:35:33 PM
I just call Art supply store, 231 Bank str, they have Plasticine, nontoxic clay, different colors.

Plasticine is a very different product than clay.

mila

Quote from: Mettle on October 14, 2006, 02:03:09 PM
Plasticine is a very different product than clay.
I went to that store this morning.
Plasticine is definitely not good.
They have different kinds of clay, but it is not cheep.

Nerine

this is why plasticine is not good:

It is non-toxic, sterile, soft, malleable, and does not dry on exposure to air (unlike superficially similar products such as Play-Doh, which is based on flour, salt and water). It cannot be hardened by firing - in fact, it is flammable and attempts to harden it by heating may be dangerous.

this project sounds great!! I'd really like to design a structure that the catfish can't wedge themselves into and never been heard from again
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

james

Hi
Has anyone used cement to make these artifical rocks?

James :)
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

new2H2O

i made an inukshook with clay that i then made a mold of in plaster and then filled with cement and it turned out great...you wont need a kiln but the process is a little longer.

its in my african tank ;D

Laura

I've only taken pottery classes for a few years, so there is lots I don't know, but the description on the site of how to make the rock sounds much simpler than it will be.  Even just knowing how to wedge the clay takes a bit of practice, and you generally need to be shown. I would only suggest doing this project with someone who knows what they're doing (not me :)) and has access to a kiln.  You'll need to be steered through more details than you think.
Shrimpy, I would suggest showing your pottery friend the pics on the site and get her feedback on how best to do it.  If she would be willing to host a class for interested folk, then that may be a good way to go about it as I suspect building the rock will be somewhat time consuming. Perhaps molds would be the way to go in this case, but I really would suggest getting the potters' comments.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Shrimpy

Sounds good Laura. When I see her next I will be showing her the description and pics. I won't be doing it, but if she can come up with a decent design on her own that would be great. I'll just find out what she would charge to do something like that (time & materials) and if she is interested in making a little $$$ if the designs are nice.