New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brine Shrimp Hatching

Started by nes, October 22, 2006, 10:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nes

Quick Q: salt/gallon for growing out?

TX!
Nes.

nes

thanks - I was looking that article earlier but don't have the math to figure out salinity with out one of those meters :s Can they live at 1 tbsp./gallon? I can't remember  ???

Nes.

Shrimpy

If I remember correctly, the last time I did it I think it was more like 1-2 Tablespoons per liter. I'll double check when I get home tonight.  ;)

BigDaddy

Here's the instructions from SFBB for one litre of solution

3.      Add salts:

a.      Skip this step if:

i)                    You are using our Hatch Mix™ Packets. The Hatch Mix™ contains all necessary salts.

ii)                  Or, if you used salt water instead of tap water in step 3, above.

b.      Add 2 tablespoons of rock salt (non iodized salt) and ¼ teaspoon of Epson salt.

c.      Or, add 2 tablespoons of any commercially available artificial seawater mix.

4.      Add ¼ teaspoon baking soda, unless you are sure the PH is greater than 8.0.

5.      Allow the eggs to incubate for 24 to 48 hours.

dpatte

I regularly start 1-2 batches of brine shrimp per day.

The formula I use is:
- one litre of declorinated tapwater (I take it from an aquarium)
- one tablespoon of natural aquarium salt (sodium chloride)
- a tiny amount of epson salts ( 1/16 teaspoon? )
- 1/4 teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs

aerate the solution constantly

Harvest within 24-36 hours

But Im not sure what the water solution should be to grow them out.

Shrimpy

Here's another link with some useful info. http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~davidr/discus/articles/artemia.html

"Best growth rates are achieved at 25-30 degrees C with salinities of 30-50 ppt and LOW light levels"

nes