Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algae bloom

Started by Adam, October 22, 2006, 01:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I have an algae bloom in my 15 gallon planted.  I had 46 watts of 6000K CF lighting, was fertilizing with root tabs and "Kent Freshwater Plant".  The plant load is medium, as is the bioload.  It is relately new, maybe a week or two, but was cycled using water and bacteria from preexisting aquaria. 

I am running the hagen canister for CO2.  I suppose this isn't enough.  Will upping it to a 2L bottle be sufficient?

I have some aquarium pharmaceuticals algae destroyer.  What exactly is this stuff, and will it be effective?  I says on the label "dangerous to humans and animals".  I dunno...

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

BigDaddy

By algae bloom, do you mean green water?  Green water is very common in newly established tanks that are planted.  Even minute amounts of NH4 will trigger a green water bloom in your tank.

Not really much point in doing a blackout until your tank is fully cycled.  Once your tank reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and measurable nitrate, follow the blackout instructions here: 

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=6

New tanks and algae blooms are almost synonymous.  Make sure you have lots of fast growing stem plants to start, and then when things settle down, you can pull them out for more plants you'd rather have in the tank.

Aquaviewer

How long are you keeping the lights on?  Anything over 10 to 12 hrs also invites/contributes to algae blooms (green water).
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

Adam

I was keeping the lights on for about 12 hours.  I'll see how 10 hours works.  After a 50% water change, I covered the tank with a black towel.  Should I be worried about a fire risk with this?  I'll unplug my lights, but should I worry about anything else ie filter/heater?

Thanks.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

adam_ottawa

That's crazy, I just got an algae bloom this week too (green water)!

I'm going to test the params and do a large water change as well.  Hopefully, I can make this go away soon ;)

Adam

It's been a few days, and things are back to clear water.  I did another 50% water change, but unfortunately I lost 3 of my rasboras during the blackout (cycling fish).  My plants look like @*$@, but I hope they perk up soon.  My crypts melted a little, and the others just look bad. 

Adam

Good luck, Adam.

SuperT

Since your tank is still relatively new the plants are still establishing (or re-establishing) themselves.  I had this same problem when i moved my prized sword plants to the 90 gallon (i had to cut them all back to the root)  but as soon as the nitrates hit the tank they took off again and have almost made it back to the original size and have started putting out runners again.  Try to be patient and don't be afraid to cut back the plants.

Terry