New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Just starting out

Started by White Lightning, November 05, 2006, 10:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Lightning

I am just starting out and plan on starting a cichlid tank. I have a sixty gallon tank and would appreciate any pointers from experienced hobbiests.
Thank You!

Randy

sniggir

What type of cichlids do like Tangyanikan or malawi, I love Tangyanikan Myself

Pat
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

RoxyDog

If you can make it, there will be a feature in the chatroom this Wednesday evening (see home page for details) about starting up a cichlid tank.  Also, let us know what's going in there, rock/substrate/fish/plants, etc.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

White Lightning

Being that I am just starting out, I am not sure about the fish yet. I am looking to have various bright coloured fish. I am strating to look at some cichlids on this website I found and like the look of the cichlids. Especially the Flowerhorn.
As for the contents of the tank, I was thinking about a lot of rocks and a few fake plants. Right now there is some substrate and sand in the tank. I was thinking of removing it all and buying some white sand. I don't plan on having any real plants so I don't think I need teh substrate in there unless there is another good reason why I should keep it.
I saw the forum discussion about starting up a cichlid tank but unfortunatelyI sleep at that time because I work overnights.
I wish I had bouht the tank a month earlier because then I could have met up with the guy who came in to town yesterday. Anyways, any more pointers anyone could provide would be great. ie: How many hours a day should I have the lights on?

White Lightning

So I went to Big Al's and got almost everything I needed, Python, Eheim classic cannister filter, Jager 200Watt heater, thermometer, 4 pieces of really nice drift wood, 4 fake plants, and 60lbs of really fine white sand. The set up looks awesome. I have to go nback this weekend to get some rocks and caves. I have water in the tank now and am waiting for it to cycle. I have some questions with regards to cycling. Should I change the media or make any water changes when I am cycling the tank. What type of fish should I get to help with the cycling process?
Also, is there any tricks when using the python to avoid sucking up all my sand? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks