Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Well water analysis - where to get one done?

Started by KLKelly, November 01, 2006, 01:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I'm on well water and I'd like to get a full analysis done on it.  (I live in Rockland).

Any suggestions on where I can drop one off or where to send a sample for a full testing?

Thanks so much.

Karrie

Laura

Not sure what range of stuff is tested for, but you may want to take a look here - perhaps the testing locations would do a wider range of tests than is covered by the municipality.

http://ottawa.ca/city_services/water/wells/1_6_en.shtml
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

PNA

Most pet stores (Petsmart - Innis/Blair) will do that for you.. if they think you may be buying some fish depending on the results.

Aquaviewer

I think that most pet stores will only test the standard aquarium parameters (pH, KH, GH, the Ns and ammonia) and I think that they only do it if your fish dies, you would have to ask whether they charge for this for additional samples.  You may be better off just getting you own test kits so you can test yourself.  If you are on well water you can be sure that you have hard water with higher pH.  What the city is offering is to test your water for coliform, that's about it.

If you want to test for metals, organics etc... you will have to contact a private lab like Acutest or Maxxam and then you are talking $50 to $100 per sample.

I know in Chelsea on the Quebec side that there is a program to test well water for a more broad spectrum of parameters than just coliform for only minimal cost.  You could check with the municipal office in Rockland to see if there is anything similar.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

Adam

I got my well water tested at Accutest.  It's on Colonnade road, just off of Merivale or Prince of Wales.  It was tested for everything the ministry and municipal organizations required, and service was prompt and very professional.

Test kits are very innacurate, and SP would not be satisfactory for any regulation testing.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

KLKelly

Thanks for the replies.  I was looking at the metals/more extensive testing.  I'll contact accutest first :)

Thanks again.

Karrie

darkdep

Adam, how much did that set of tests cost you?

Adam

I paid around ~60-80 (probably lower, it was awhile ago) for a through inorganic testing.  It was nice to know my exact parameters and using that data, I haven't had excess nutrients since.  I like to think it's saved me time and money otherwise spent treating the effects of excess nutrients.  It's when you get to organics that the price goes through the roof.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers