Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Jack Dempsey question from my papa

Started by jgolden, November 13, 2006, 08:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolden

Hey all.

I've tried to get my dad into the forum for about a year now, but he still hasn't come on. And now, he has a question that he asked me to post....

He has 2 Jack Dempseys in a 30G tank (nothing else in the tank). They have plpenty of caves to hide in. The last water change was 2 weeks ago (He only does a 30% change every month, and they've been okay with that for teh last year or two).

In the last 3 days, he's noticed that they're upside down, at the bottom of teh tank, lip-locked. If he sticks the net into the tank to pull them out, they break their lip-lock, turn right-side up, and swim away from the net. Does anyone have a possible explanation for him? If they were starting to expire, would they not have done so, if exhibiting this behaviour for 3 days now?

TIA.

Jeff

Toss

looks like they were having some wild s_x  ::)
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

cory

Toss

Sorry Jeff, I don't mean to hijack your thread earlier. I think they are reaching the stage of mating. liplocking is one of many cichlid ritual, the upside down part....maybe they just went overboard a bit since they are just a newb pair.
Hopefully they will spawn soon.
enrico
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS