New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sick yellow lab - white feces

Started by blizzack1, November 16, 2006, 07:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzack1

Long, stringy white feces.

The fish was from a group of five and is a bit over an inch long.

They are all doing well, and water parameters are good.  No other fish have this problem (four yellow labs and three brichardi, and they are all eating and active, even the, presumably, sick one.

I assume this is a sign of an internal parasite?  Are medications a must here?

I change water about 15-20% weekly and am about to do another change now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Demasonian

It could be nothing, but if it's bloat or even remotely looks like bloat, you want to deal with it now rather than later. I had a brief spat with it last year in my own yellow labs. I found that a combination of Parasite Clear Tank Buddies (like alka-seltzer for fish) and, if the fish are still eating, Parasite Clear medicated pellets, to be very effective. I sound like a fricking advertisement for Parasite Clear, but this worked for me and didn't require any heavy duty chemical additives or excessive water changing.

Better safe than sorry.

Ultimately, if it is bloat, you'll need to identify the source. Causes are generally related to either stress, a new fish who is already infected or diet.

Whatever it is, sounds like you caught it early if they're still eating!

blizzack1

Quote from: Demasonian on November 16, 2006, 07:36:04 PM
It could be nothing, but if it's bloat or even remotely looks like bloat, you want to deal with it now rather than later. I had a brief spat with it last year in my own yellow labs. I found that a combination of Parasite Clear Tank Buddies (like alka-seltzer for fish) and, if the fish are still eating, Parasite Clear medicated pellets, to be very effective. I sound like a fricking advertisement for Parasite Clear, but this worked for me and didn't require any heavy duty chemical additives or excessive water changing.

Better safe than sorry.

Ultimately, if it is bloat, you'll need to identify the source. Causes are generally related to either stress, a new fish who is already infected or diet.

I don't see any signs of bloat, but I agree.  Better safe than sorry

Is the medication available at most pet stores?  Should I go ahead with my water change?

Thanks!

blizzack1

Blargh.

The white feces from this afternoon is now kind of greenish, and somewhat odd in shape... better go get the medication now.

The little guy still has tons of energy though, and I noticed the white feces two days ago.

Update: No parasite clear at BA Innes or the Superpet on Innes (or is it a PetSmart, I don't remember).

Anyone have a source for either of this?

Quote from: Demasonian on November 16, 2006, 07:36:04 PM

Better safe than sorry.

Demasonian

Big Als carries it, not sure about the other usual suspects...

Green feces would seem to indicate that he's at least passing food. Is it a dark green by any chance? Could be he's eating algae...

I don't have any experience with brichardi but I've read that they can be mean little guys, especially if they're breeding or getting ready to breed. Is it possible they're stressing your mild mannered labs?

blizzack1

Quote from: Demasonian on November 16, 2006, 10:29:39 PM
Big Als carries it, not sure about the other usual suspects...

Green feces would seem to indicate that he's at least passing food. Is it a dark green by any chance? Could be he's eating algae...

I don't have any experience with brichardi but I've read that they can be mean little guys, especially if they're breeding or getting ready to breed. Is it possible they're stressing your mild mannered labs?

The Brichardi are still very young and spend most of their time hiding from the labs.  In fact, the labs beat them to the food so badly that I'm worried the brichardi starving!

There isn't much algea in the tank, but they may have been getting overfed because of my attempts to get food to the Brichardi. 

I'll try and find some of that medication and cross my fingers I guess.