Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mangrove Project Experiment / Here are the results.

Started by UCGrafix, November 14, 2006, 12:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UCGrafix

Hi everyone,

Well ! my Mangrove experiment is now complete, so it's time to publish and share my conclusions.

About two months ago, I got myself some 42 free baby Convict Chiclids in all hopes of starting a Cichild tank, and I did, I housed them all in a 10 Gal. tank, used a brand new filter Aquaclear 50 with sponge and BioMax, hooked up a small powerhead and voila.
I also got myself a Mangrove bean from Luc ( AmazonRiver ), of witch was one year old and had a nice little root system going ( see Picture attached ), and did my own little research on the subject of the Mangrove.
So we are now two months later, the 42 Convicts are between the size of a quarter to the size of a loony, I fed them twice a day on NLS food, only did a 30% water change every week / nothing else, and tested the water parameters every 3 days.
Throughout the experiment, I have not had any problem or levels going out of control, the ammonia levels where non existing, the PH was normal and stayed stable, so did the nitrate and so on, considering that it was easy to clean the bottom of the tank because it did not have any substrate, the only place the good bacteria was housed was in the filter, the power head only circulated the water, it did not add any oxygen to the tank since it was at the near bottom of the tank.
My water parameter where as follows, fresh regular tap water, PH levels at around 7.4, Temps around 22 C.
I love these Convicts, they are so easy to care for : )

OK ! I know ! ! the Convicts where jammed packed in there for a while, but I did want to stress the tank to the max. and push it to all it's limits, so don't kill me on this one, all 42 convicts have been swimming about in my 66 gal. tank for a good week, and doing much better.

I did not loose one of them : )

If you wonder where I got the idea for the mangroves, well Luc came over one day and said " I have some plant you might want in your aquarium, they look great ", since he's no aquarium keeper ( he has a 10 Gal tank ), he had no idea on what he was sitting on, now he does, and so do you.

I have attached some pictures, and some info on the mangroves.
A ) The bare tank used for testing ( Control Tank ).
B ) The one year old Mangrove with small roots.
C ) One Mangrove bean besides the one I used for the experiemnt, if you buy a Mangrove bean, that's what they look like as juvies.
D ) This is how easy it is to keep the Mangrove while you find a good use for them ; ) I now have them with the others I got on a shelf in my kitchen, they have no direct light, only what seeps through the window at a good distance ( these are not the ones for sale, there mine )
E ) Your aiming at building them into a small Bonsai tree, so keep trimming the tops off as they grow, you only need to have the root system develop.
F ) It can be applied in a Sump system ( They also love Salt water ), a lot of people in the US are doing it, and I have read a lot on it, they also rave about it's benefits, so I included this little schematic of one of the applications in a sump.
G ) Nitrate chart
H ) Phosphate chart
I ) Research chart.

If you have any other questions I can answer ( or something I forgot to add ), just ask.

If you wish to purchase some Mangrove beans, send me a PM, there $10.oo each, and I only have a few in stock.
This is no advert, and I don't make a dime on the sales ( they are from Luc ), I'm offering these at my place since it's easier than trying to find Luc's place, but if you wish to give him a try, go for it : ) he's near old Chelsea.

Cheers,
Denis

PS : Don't even think of taking mine. LOL

[attachment deleted by admin]

zapisto

in my island the call that "Paleruvier" , latin name : Rhizophora.
this tree can become huge and make in my island a sort of refugium all kind of aquatic animal baby.
you can found them in frewater environemment but they are more usual in backwish water.

thanks for the report.

here is the seed in martinique :

Aquaviewer

Very cool.  I was just reading about mangroves in my latest PFK and was wondering about the logistics of setting up a system.  I thought it would be a good brackish environment to keep archerfish.

Thanks for reporting you results,

Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

mdugly

Hi Denis,

So what are you conclusions... ???
What would be your expectations of same experiment without mangrove ? 

Thanks,
-mike

UCGrafix

Quote from: mdugly on November 14, 2006, 11:58:32 PM
Hi Denis,
So what are you conclusions... ???
What would be your expectations of same experiment without mangrove ? 
Thanks,-mike

Hummmm...
Bottom line.
High level of Nitrate / Garrantied.
Picture this.
By the time I ended this crazy experiment, I had 42 tightly packed Cichild the size of a quarter to a loony in a 10 Gal. tank, if that's not stressing a tank to the max, what is ?

Ammonia and PH level should have also gone sky high during this test, due to waste matter, thats why I tested every 3 days and was always ready to transfer the fish to my large tank.

My initial set up was to house the babies temporarily, and give them just enough time to grow and become self sufficient on small NLS pellets, but at the rate they grew, it was only a matter a few more weeks, so I just let the experiment go and test the tank set up to the max.

That NLS food sure boosted there growth, I can tell you that.
I stared off crushing the small pellets to help them eat well, but it was only a matter on a week or so before they took the full pellet by themself.
Maybe I should have kept that new bucket afterall ?
Since I'm keeping the fish as my new set up, it's time for me to buy another one : )
O ! crazy me. LOL

freshwater

So the mangroves are extremely efficient @ removing ammonia, nitrite, etc? ???

Sue

Thats an interesting experiment. I'm a bit confused by your control tank; as it appears empty in the photo. Did it have the same number of fish, getting the same amount of food as the mangrove tank?

UCGrafix

Quote from: freshwater on November 15, 2006, 06:07:27 PM
So the mangroves are extremely efficient @ removing ammonia, nitrite, etc? ???

That's my conclusion : )
During my entire experiment, I had a pad and pencil beside the tank expecting to write some number down, from the Ph, Nitrate and Ammonia fluctuating, I did not happen, everything stayed level.

Quote from: Sue on November 15, 2006, 06:18:57 PMI'm a bit confused by your control tank; as it appears empty in the photo. Did it have the same number of fish, getting the same amount of food as the mangrove tank?

The picture shown of the 10 Gal. control tank, is the exact tank once everything was removed ( 42 fish, Mangrove and small powerhead ).

I'm no scientist and did not think of everything.

One thing I did miss, is that I did not take the time to photograph the 10 Gal. control tank with all the 42 Convicts and equipment in it, I though I had, but it seems I did not, I was more concern in securing all the fish and transferring them into my 66 Gal. tank to ensure there well being.

As soon as my larger aquarium lights come on tomorrow morning ( again my 66 Gal. tank 48" x 16" x 20" ), I will take a picture of it with all the fish in it, and show you the 42 Convicts it had in the 10 Gal. control tank.

UCGrafix

Here is a picture of my 66 Gal. tank with the 42 Convict Cichlids.

Take in consideration that this tank is 48" long x 16" deep x 20" high, look at the fish in there and figure out that 2 weeks ago they where in the 10 Gal. control tank with the mangrove plant and powerhead.

PS : The picture obviously does not show all the fish in one shot, but look at there size.

UCGrafix

Here is a Pict of the 10 Gal. control tank with the mangrove ( I use only that one mangrove for the experiment ), and the small powerhead.
Please note that the water coloration in all the pictures, is from the reflection of my cabinets above the tank.

Here is a picture of one of the largest fish I just took with measurement, to further illustrate the experiment, in retrospect, I would say that they where at least the size of a loony, many even the size of a toony when they got transferred to the 66 gal. tank, now picture these 42 fish two week ago in the 10 Gal. control tank ( I rather not any more ).

dannypd

Good job!

I had a mongroove setup with my 60gallon brackish tank....was great, until the puffers ate them...

Only plant I know that survives brackish water.

Quote from: UCGrafix on November 16, 2006, 10:59:43 AM
Here is a Pict of the 10 Gal. control tank with the mangrove ( I use only that one mangrove for the experiment ), and the small powerhead.
Please note that the water coloration in all the pictures, is from the reflection of my cabinets above the tank.

Here is a picture of one of the largest fish I just took with measurement, to further illustrate the experiment, in retrospect, I would say that they where at least the size of a loony, many even the size of a toony when they got transferred to the 66 gal. tank, now picture these 42 fish two week ago in the 10 Gal. control tank ( I rather not any more ).

UCGrafix

Melody

I love mangroves, real or 'fake'...lol....I currently use Lucky Bamboo heavily, but I prefer the mangrove plants.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

I don't suppose anyone would ship them?