Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How common is this tank size??

Started by Jason, November 10, 2006, 12:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm looking into purchasing a 150 gallon tank which has the following dimensions. 40L*29W*30H

The guy says it was store bought but I don't recall ever seeing a tank with these dimensions in any store. Have you?

The only ones that comes to mind are the larger display tanks in the fish rooms at BA's and Superpet.

The reason I like this tank is the fact that it's compact (for a 150g that is)and was thinking of making this into my first salt water set up.
135g - Malawi Cichlid Tank
120g - Soon to be planted community tank
108g - Planted tropical tank

FishPassion

Not sure how common a size this is, just wanted to let you know if you are going to salt, depth of tank and light penetration. Plan ahead because a 30 inch depth tank will be harder to penetrate with light than a 24 inch depth.
Klaus
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

Jason

So what type of lighting would this tank need if I did make it a SW tank? Would one 400w MH and two antnics be enough? Or would it be better to go with a FOWLR for this depth.

Jason

Ok I just went to see the tank and my dimensions were off. It's 30L*29W*40H.

BigDaddy

a 40 inch high tank?  yuck.  Who wants to maintain a tank that's almost 3 and 1/2 feet tall!

FishPassion

My 65 hex is 36" high and sitting on an 18" steel stand totalling 4'5" in height and I have a 12 inch custom top with halides in it. I am 6'6 in height and have a terrible time reaching the bottom of it. If you are getting this tank at a really good price and it is in awesome shape it would make a very nice display tank. You will have to do some homework as to what you are going to stock this tank with if going reef. FOWLR is an easier alternative as you will not have issues with lighting and flow and please dont forget flow, as I have been working on my 65hex for many mths to accomplish a proper flow due to my rock coming up 3 feet at the back of the tank. It can turn out stunning but it takes alot of time patience and research to get your reef working properly in a tank like this.
If you want to take a haul out to my place and see my hex you are more than welcome and I can give you a lot of ideas as to what WILL work in a tank like this.
Regards
Klaus
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

Jason

Thanks Klaus I just might take you up on that offer. I ended up getting the tank by the way, I found it looked so unique and the price was so good that I figured I'd give it a shot.

So "if" I wanted to go reef what would be the best lighting to penetrate the 40" depth?

BigDaddy

The strongest metal halide you can find

Jason

Do you think one 400w MH would be enough or say 1 400w and 1x175w-250w

veron

1000 watter if your going corals on a tank that deep. would look nice with a 20k

FishPassion

Send me a pm and we can talk on the phone sometime for a start.
Im kinda grining here but yep the guys are right Bigdaddy and Veron you will need one kickass bulb ta light it, depending on what you are putting in that tank. Butttttttttttt you can still make a reef tank out of it with less lighting it all depends on what you put in there. Gimme a call sometime and we can chat, theres always a way to beat the odds... :) :)
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

yellowtang

In such a deep tank. I would suggest a dual 400watts MH.
However.........if you're keeping just softies then a dual
250watts MH will do he trick supplemented with either T5s
or PCs.
IMO. 
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

babblefish1960

You tell him fishpassionate guy, there are no hard and fast rules at the edge of the envelope, and I'm sure it will all turn out amazingly well, from a certain point of view. You'll be getting inventive about how to reach the bottom for maintenance and such, but you'll manage just fine. This is one setup I would love to see a picture of.

In fact, you may want to create a picture catalogue of the process to show us all how you solve the setting up of a deep tank when it's longer than your arms.(it is longer than your arms right?)  Good luck with that.

FishPassion

Hey there oh Babbler one, yep my tank is deep and I have to stand on my tiptoes if you can picture that, not a pretty site hehehe. But so far it has been very doabl altho I am very much a newbie here yet, I try to learn and experiment specially with flow lighting etc. I have one 250 watt mh and probably around 95 lbs of rock give or take piled up the back of the hex to the top. low light corals and non photosynthetic on the bottom to middle and middle to top lps. I dont have nor will I attempt sps found out Im to much of a clutz with them and the 250 watt bulbs I use in the tanks are well, mediocre for that application...
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

Jason

Ok I started looking around for MH lighting and found this ad.

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/2106714&category=building-supplies

Would this do the trick?

I did a search with the model number and found this site with some specs.

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/m400u.html

FishPassion

All of the lighting that I have purchased is intended for aquarium use the item you are showing and I am not an electrician looks to be some type of either street or warehouse lighting.
I looked at the alternative route at the beginning and tried finding lighting that would suit. It usually costs you more money and doesnt work. Research sites and see what others are using. I learned and try as much as possible to research every light, coral fish etc that goes in my tank. Its not an inexpensive hobby and mistakes will cost you money so eventually you end up purchasing the proper item or piece anyways.
You really have to plan and know what you are going to put into your tank Before you start. Reef, fish only etc ??
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

Seanc

I am using street type lights for my fixture. I have two 175watt MH on my 120, and they work perfectly fine. But mine are weather resistant so that makes them more suitable for aquarium use. but if you made a proper canopy, and got rid of the reflectores they have, and do everything right it can easily work.