Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Spaghetti Rock

Started by Mettle, December 04, 2006, 09:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

I was at SP Barrhaven tonight and picked up a really interesting piece of rock. It's called 'spaghetti rock'. Looks quite cool. Lots of interesting nooks and crannies to it. And it wasn't all that expensive for the size of piece that I got.

I was wondering if anyone else has any? If they have pics of it in their tanks? Or even if anyone's seen it at any other locations as I got the last piece at SP Barrhaven.

mseguin

Got lots of it at SP Kanata and can get more if people want it. It is indeed quite interesting looking.

Mettle

I love it and would love to style a tank with this in it.

Do you know if it has any specific chemical properties Matt? Buffering, etc?

darkdep

A new rock?  Cool!  Got a pic Mettle?

mseguin

I asked the supplier to send me info about the properties, but havent gotten anything yet. It's a new supplier, they've got some interesting stuff.

succinctfish

Spaghetti Rock
"Resembling petrified spaghetti, this is a more solid form of tufa. The limestone was deposited on and about living reeds or grasses that later decayed and disappeared. Used as a focal point in a garden or flower display, 'Spaghetti Rock' is guaranteed to be a talking point. "

Is this the rock that you're talking about?

[attachment deleted by admin]

mseguin

Mettle

I took some pics.

The fourth one shows a close up of some of the details.

I really like the looks of this rock... Really nice.

[attachment deleted by admin]

beowulf

When you said not that expensive how much are we talking about?  Also how does it affect water chemistry?

PaleoFishGirl

Well it's limestone (calcium carbonate) so it will react with CO2 if you are using that. 

beowulf

Nope not really at this time.

Mettle

Quote from: beowulf on December 05, 2006, 09:34:36 AM
When you said not that expensive how much are we talking about?  Also how does it affect water chemistry?

If I'm not mistaken it'll act similar to texas holey rock in terms of water chemistry... This was one of my initial questions as well.

The piece I got was labeled as 'medium' and was $17.88.