Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What Happened to my nice clean aquarium.

Started by busdriver, December 03, 2006, 01:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busdriver

I don't think this has ever happened before.
Did a water change on Friday night, have an aquaclear hob 110, changed the charcoal bag (well rinsed) it was fine yesterday, this morning after coming home from Church found the tank like this.
Checked water parameters
ph - 7
ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

The tank has been set up since last February or there abouts.
The only thing I added to the city water was 'Prime' to remove chlorine, etc.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

beowulf

babblefish1960

I'm with beowolf on this one, the other parameters we need to know would be, how long has the tank been set up, and when you did your water change, are you on city water and did you use a water conditioner? It is tied to your water change somehow, in my opinion. Not to worry though, it will clear up with time.

darkdep

If it's a "whitish" haze, it's likely a bacterial bloom as previously suggested, and *should* be relatively harmless...and it should clear up within a day or two. 

I would have suspected an ammonia spike first, but if that param is 0 then it's very likely bacterial.  Keep an eye on it, but it should be ok.

busdriver

Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Baldrick

If its any comfort, I've had the same thing happen a couple of times recently. Both times it cleared up, but it took several days.

Rudy00

did you happen to over feed or add any organics to the tank?

PoisonJello

I know exactly what happened....

You didn't do enough praying at church  ;D

Baldrick

So that's it!! Now my Catholic guilt is kicking in.... :-[

new2H2O

looks like a bacterial bloom to me..i had one in my 55 and panicked but thanks to bigdaddy (who came over to check it out) my nerves were calmed...it'll clear up, mine took about a week and no harm was done. ;D

beowulf

How are things now?  When it happened to my brother he added some extra carbon in a sac in the tank and it cleared up in a couple of days.

kyonis

I also think it is a bacterial bloom. I have a 5g planted with teh same problem in my room. did small/larg water changes. changed filter. but nothing help. took it to LFS for test and it was all good. I was told to wait on it.

I have been waiting on it since it started over 3 weeks a go. hope it is much faster for you.