Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone on well water? feedback.

Started by KLKelly, December 20, 2006, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I know many of you have high ph tolerant fish like Africans but I'm looking to stock my freed up 40 gallon with a mix of small freshwater tropicals that would hate my higher PH.  Right now they are in small tanks (20G and 10G).  I'm currently mixing bubbled well water with distilled for their small water changes - maintain a PH of 7.5.  My 90G can handle a higher PH.

After bubbling my well water for a few days PH for some reason drops to around 8.3 (off the chart out of the tap).  Ammonia is at around .15 - except for a big blip lately.  KH 250,  GH 179.

I'm looking to set up a 50gallon bin where I can bubble the water, looking into ways I can remove ammonia at this stage also and where I can pump from the bin through the python to the tank (after matching water temps). 
Any ideas where I can buy a cheap pump?  I was in at home depot the other day - $100 was the cheapest.
Also - I just built a DIY python - $25 and works great.  I kicked myself when I saw that BigAls has one on sale on boxing day!!!!

I'd love some advice.  Making things complicated is something I'm very good at :) :) :)

Thanks!

karrie

babblefish1960

Princess Auto tends to have an array of things that some folks find they cannot live without. They have sump pumps for less money than you mention, that I know would work easily in your situation.

Is your well drilled or dug, either way, it sounds like you're under hardpan and into limestone, sadly not a good source for softwater low pH fish.

You could also try reverse osmosis water softeners, big bucks though. In a similar situation, rather than sodium, I used potassium.

Alternatively, you could use a magdrive pump, just a small one like a 4 or 5, or any other pump like that, there seem to be quite a few used ones right now. Even a powerhead would work if you were mindful of running it dry.

KLKelly

I never thought of Princess Auto - I'll check there this week! Thanks for the idea.  Good place for Christmas shopping too that wasn't on my list :)  I am not familiar with magdrive pumps or power heads so I'll read up on them also.

I checked into RO machines and I know my water would be hard on the filters and it would cost a lot of money to maintain them.
My small tanks are heavily planted and only ever needed small water changes. I hope that this will be the case in the 40 Gallon also - blending well with distilled will still be cost effective if it is.

Thanks!

Karrie

PNA

I used to live wtih well water.  pH over 8.
I just put some drift wood in the tank, that lowered the pH a lot. 
If that doesn't work, or doesn't work fast enough for you, you can place some peat moss in a nylon, tie it up, and place it in your filter (hang on board or canister).  That'll reduce the pH a lot.
Both of these options will tint your water a little - and I mean very little (tanins), I like the look.. you might not.
All my tetras & angelfish were fine.