Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Biting discus

Started by normc, December 21, 2006, 12:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

Has anyone else been bitten by their discus fish. I was feeding them and put my fingers in to get a leaf floating by and I got bitten  ;D

beowulf

Umm I think you have a new and rare strain of piranahcus.  Very pretty but man do they bite.

discusFans

I'm not sure what do you mean by bitten. When i fed my discus, something I would hold the food by my fingers and they would bit on the food and i can feel that they accidentially bit my finger.. :>

BigDaddy

When I have hand fed my discus their beefheart, occassionally they have tried at my fingers... no biggie

Now, the breeding ram that comes out of no where and scares the hell out of you, that's the one you gotta watch out for  :D

SuperT

I feed my discus by hand as well, except just now.  They were all coming to the surface when I decided I didn't want to get my hands wet and just threw some flake on top of the water.  They didn't look amused.

Terry

normc

Quote from: normc on December 21, 2006, 12:43:27 PM
Has anyone else been bitten by their discus fish. I was feeding them and put my fingers in to get a leaf floating by and I got bitten  ;D
I was feeding beef heart by hand when I reached into the water. A case of mistaken identity?

Mettle

That's happened to me before with discus. When I worked at SP I would regularly try to get them to hand feed from me.

My flowerhorn is a different story though. His bite is starting to hurt.