Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Treating a tank - advice - furcatus/goby

Started by KLKelly, December 29, 2006, 12:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Hi Guys.  I finally got my hands on some furcatus.  I've been looking for them for months.  Their species are very susceptible to columnaris and after a day in my tank they had the white strings hanging from their mouths.  I bought an impulse goby (stiphodon elegans) and he is in 10G qt with them.

The problem is I don't know how to treat the tank with him in it.  I had p. signifers a while back and they demonstrated similar symptoms.  Maracyn plus worked for them.  They are in my other 10G.  (I didn't use this media to cycle the other tank)

In this tank:  Its cycled with existing media. An extra air stone. AC20. Lots of plants to eat up ammonia and nitrates (0 across the board).  The Goldfish aquarium always has nitrates and the well water has ammonia in it so I know how to read the colours.  I use 60% distilled and 40% well water.  The ammonia is gone before 12 hours is up.  I made sure it was zero before putting the new guys in.  I haven't needed to change water yet.  It is understocked.  1-1" goby, 4 -3/4" furcatus (2 have died).  Temp 75, PH 7.4.  KH would be 8.

I added three tsp of salt after the first one died.  It doesn't seem to be helping.  Another died this afternoon.  The remaining four are at the surface.  I would like to keep them alive but I know transporting them does stress them.

Do you think the goby could handle maracyn plus or possible more salt?  I can't keep the water any more perfect.  I don't have a spare QT tank to put the Goby in which really sucks. 

KLKelly

Just got back from BigAls on Innes.  One of the staff said that Maracyn was very mild and that if I decide to medicate that the Goby should be fine.  He didn't have experience with whether Maracyn plus was mild or not.  I'll give Maracyn a try if they are still up there tomorrow.

I'm also going to start carting city water from my moms in Gloucester.  Cheaper than mixing store bought distilled with well water.  Wish I had done this earlier.

Karrie