Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

180g Tank Build

Started by RossW, September 04, 2009, 07:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

I have been thinking about this build for many many months now and the time has come to get it going.  It is going to a standard 180g w/ 3 sides viewable and starphire.

My first debate is where to drill the holes.

I have attached a pdf of the back pane of the tank to show what I am thinking.  I have 2 specific unknowns I am looking for feedback on.  The overflow is going to be internal with a Bean Animal overflow http://beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx.  The overflow will not go all the way across the back of the tank, I am not willing to give up all of that realestate and am willing to comprising overflow as a result.

1. The holes will be drilled 6 inches apart on center.  Is this too close?
2. The holes will be drilled 4 inches from the top of the tank.  Does this leave sufficient room for eurobracing and 1.5" bulkheads?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vincenzo.

four corners is always good. and if you want you can have elbows on and have flow in 8 directions. but i cant wait to see some progress ross. have not seen you in a few weeks. your antics are always enjoyable. best of luck on this. BTW did you finish your basement ceiling?

RossW

Quote from: Vince. on September 04, 2009, 08:11:09 PM
BTW did you finish your basement ceiling?

sssshhhhh, my wife might hear this and realise I have not made in progress in a  while.  Having said that, I am planning to spend all day Monday in the basement.

RossW

Quote from: Vince. on September 04, 2009, 08:11:09 PM
have not seen you in a few weeks. your antics are always enjoyable.

Life keeps getting in the way :(

Hookup

Hey,
  Check my math, for 1.5 bulkheads I think the holes are about 2" diameter... you have 6inches on-center for holes, leaving 4" gaps of glass between each... I think that is correct.

If that is the case you are fine... I posed a question on RC about how close you can drill holes, and the rule of thumb is 1.5x the diameter of the hole appart.. so your min spacing would be around 3" apart for a 2" hole.

I really like that overflow and cannot wait to see it in action!

What kind of circulation are you planning?  Closed Loop?  wave Boxes?  Vortecs?  OceansMotions on the CL?  hehe..

RossW

According to mops.ca 1.5" bulkheads require a 2.5" hole, but honestly that seems a little large.  My holes alternate between 1.5"(2.5" hole) bulkheads and 1"(1.75" hole) bulkheads, thus the spacing between them is 3.8" of glass and 6" on center.  It would appear that my 3.8" is just slightly better than the recommended 3.75" if all holes were 2.5".  I guess I will be fine.

For circulation I have 3 tunze which each put out 3170 g/h, I have modded them slightly which may have helped output but was intended to create the widest flow.  Should give me 9500 g/h, which works out to 52X over/hour.  I am also fairly certain I am going barebottom so I should not have to worry about sand being kicked up!

Tyler.L

but them on that damn controller also ross....and like i said before if you need a hand with the basement call me...

and hurry up with the build so i can take your 120 dammit!

ray

Hi since I lent that drill bit I'm just guessing but for 1 1/2" hole it is a 64 mm bit.

Ray

sdivell

Quote from: ray on September 05, 2009, 10:08:43 AM
Hi since I lent that drill bit I'm just guessing but for 1 1/2" hole it is a 64 mm bit.

Ray

I can confirm that - 64mm = 2.559047 inches.

Vincenzo.

lol @ always having time for the tank/s and not enough time for the ceiling.