Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

can i put my betta in my dwarf puffer tank?

Started by puffer girl, April 01, 2007, 08:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puffer girl

Hello
         i have a set up of 10 dwarf puffer (15 later this week ) and i want to know if i can my betta with them  :-\ .

I dont want to try to kill any of my fish in a fight , i know the puffer is a fighter and a betta to . So maybe someone here did try .....  :o

I'm new in fishy thing so i ask before , my boyfriend help me a lot  :-* but sometimes we need some advices from other people .

Regards
Martine the puffer girl

gonna_b_no_1

Puffers really should be in a species only tank IMO.

What might get along today with them will become something to snack on...one bite at a time. 

KLKelly

I've read that dwarf puffers are relentless fin nippers and can hurt a much bigger fish.

I wouldn't risk it.   Betta's fins/tail are so delicate they deserve to be in a peaceful tank.

CuckooJay

I actually talked to a girl on another forum with exactly that settup. Dwarf puffers and betta.... and supposedly they're doing fine. Puffers are nasty little things though. Keep in mind that there are several types of dwarf puffer. One type in particular (amazonian I beleive) is completely docile and is said to be ok even with tetra... However, the "itsy bitzy" little ones you see at most pet stores are jerks. I've watched them take down cichlids twice their size.

Mettle

Dwarf puffers and a better should definitely not be kept together. Dwarf puffers, by nature, are an ambush fish. They in part live off of insects and such in the wild but will also make do with scales and fins of other fish - including other dwarf puffers. A betta's fin will be the perfect target. Not to mention bettas are slow and your tank is small. Besides, a 10 gallon tank is only good for about three or four dwarf puffers. (Or at leas that's the recommended amount.) I managed to keep 5 when I did it but my tank was planted/decorated from front to back and corner to corner. I had no open water swimming area - it was incredibly dense. I don't recommend this many dwarf puffers for more sparsely decorated tanks.

As was stated puffers do best in a species only tank. I would keep the betta separate and not go by what has worked for a single person on what I'm guessing is probably a limited amount of time, anyway.

CuckooJay

Quote from: Mettle on April 02, 2007, 10:33:42 AM
I would keep the betta separate and not go by what has worked for a single person on what I'm guessing is probably a limited amount of time, anyway.

...That wasn't the point, but simply a storey. Unless I am somehow mistaken, there does exist an amazon puffer that is considered truely docile.  I have heard many a good experience keeping Colomesus asellus as a comunity fish... not that I'd trust them with everything.

http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/species/pufferfish/types/coloasel.htm