Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

pH question WRT breeding rasboras

Started by jgolden, February 09, 2007, 03:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolden

Hey all. Was thinking of trying my hand at breeding Neon tetras and Harlequin rasboras, going for those higher BAP points ;-) (I've been able to breed swords and Platties like crazy; I'm selling 1 doz of each  to local fsih shop every 6-8 weeks, just trying to keep the tank from becoming over-populated). (No, I've never registered for BAP for swords and platties because I'm finding them too easy).

Everything I've found about trying to breed Neons seems pretty consistent, and specific. Not many questions there....
When it comes to the Rasboras, I keep finding settings like the following: "Spawning requires water with a low pH and to be very soft". This was the best find.... Can anyone tell me what this translates to (roughly) for a pH, kH and gH level to strive for?

I'm planning on using 5G and 10G breeder tanks, if I do decide to give this a try.

TIA

Jeff

Woody

Breeding rasboras is straight forward and relatively easy. For most species you will need a slightly acid  pH of 6.5 to 6.8 and 4 or 5 degrees of hardness. As long as the water quality is kept up and they are conditioned with good food you should have no problem. If the hatch rate seems low, or you move onto more difficult rasbora species you will need to lower the pH to 6.0 and drop the hardness to 1 or 2 degrees, this will rectify the problem.

Be prepared they can be prolific.

Woody