New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

First water test - Should I worry about the ph results?

Started by hamstercaster, February 19, 2007, 06:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

I got my water tested for the first time at the pet shop near home today.  Water has been in the tank since Thursday of last week and fishes have been in the tank since Saturday.  Results:  Amonia and Nitrates.. or is it Nitrites were perfect, test tubes were perfectly clear but the clerk sounded a bit alarmed by my ph levels.  She said that they were way over 7.6 but couldn't tell me exactly how high as her test chart stopped at 7.6

The water is super clear, the fishes are very active and don't seemed stress at all. Actually, when I put my little container in the water to get some water they all raced towards the pot lol... sorry guys no food lol.. they ate already today and I'm only feeding them once until the cycle is done.... She suggested a 50% water change.  My gut feeling is to leave things as is for now and do a water change on Thursday or Friday and only 15 or 20%...

As for amonia and nitrates, I guess it may be a bit early to see spikes since the fishes have been in the tank for three days only... or is it not?

So should I be worried with the ph and is 3 days sufficient to start seeing readings on amonia, nitrates and nitrites?

thanks once again for all the help you can give to a newbie..

Yvon

beowulf

What kind of fish again?  If they are fish that like higher pH it's not the end of the world and even for those that like it more neutral, it is not that high.  My suggestion is to get your own test kit, they are not that expensive and last a long time.

hamstercaster

They are Zebra Danios.. very tough fish I heard... I will get my own kit, possibly tomorrow or Wednesday.

thanks

beowulf

Have you tried to see if anbody from OVAS lives around you and could give you some substrate or filter media to speed up the cycle?

KLKelly

(may be irrelevant but 0 ammonia w my test is a light yellow colour, zero nitrites is a sky blue - not clear coloured).

I would get your own tests too - they come with a high range PH test also.  Ammonia is more toxic with higher ph levels so it would be a good thing if you could monitor it.

beowulf

Quote from: KLKelly on February 19, 2007, 07:04:57 PM
(may be irrelevant but 0 ammonia w my test is a light yellow colour, zero nitrites is a sky blue - not clear coloured).

I would get your own tests too - they come with a high range PH test also.  Ammonia is more toxic with higher ph levels so it would be a good thing if you could monitor it.

I was thinking the same thing....I have not clue what the person at the store was using but the tests I know all have colors involved.

hamstercaster

Quote from: beowulf on February 19, 2007, 07:02:40 PM
Have you tried to see if anbody from OVAS lives around you and could give you some substrate or filter media to speed up the cycle?

Actually I do have sand and water from the previous owner.  Maybe it was clear blue and clear yellow... it just seemed very very pale hence the reason why I said clear.  Will pick a test kit very soon.  I'll try and find one where it can tell me the exact level even if it's over 7.6.  The sand in the tank is Sahara sand and I was told that it raises the ph levels a bit... true or false...

beowulf