Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lights - How long to leave them on?

Started by hamstercaster, February 20, 2007, 11:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

Hi, I've got a 55g tank with two live plants and possibly more coming in the next day or two.  So far I've turning the aquarium lights on at around 8 in the morning and shutting them off around 9 at night.  Is that too much?

beowulf

I personally would not go much longer then that.  I prefer using timers so it is regimented with the same time every day.  If you see you are getting algea growth and don't have another means to fight it you could cut back a little without to much harm to the plants.

hamstercaster

Thanks Beowulf, once again you have been very helpful.  The time will surely come where I will be able to help others as well ;)

BigDaddy

12 hours is about all you need.  If you have algae issues, you can cut it down to anywhere from 8 to 10 hours if needed...

Eric

I read one way to deal with algae was to add 2-3 hours without light in the middle of the day, without reducing the total light period. 

I tried it out and it seemed to work for me.  Not really clear on the theory -- something about algae needing more time than plants to get in the photosynthesis mood...

Eric

BigDaddy

Siestas aren't really a fix but more of a bandaid...

hamstercaster

Merci BigDaddy.. dis bonjour à Cécile pour moi... :)