Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank Mates For Bolivian Rams

Started by neon, February 28, 2007, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

I've recently purchased 2 bolivian rams, hopefully a male and a female, and am wondering what would make good tankmates.  I currently have with them 4 cardinal tetras, an albino bushynose pleco, and a small siamese algae eater.  My tank is a 33 gallon long, planted.  I would like something that schools, perhaps 6 or so.

beowulf

I would just add to the cardinals as the bigger the school the nicer they look.

My bolivians are with 4 marble loaches, 4 khuli loaches and 3 cockatoo apistos (1m 2 females).

neon

My cardinals and the rams hang around the bottom, and when they're hiding, it looks like I have no fish.  I wanted something that would occupy more the middle area of the tank.  Some other kind of tetra mabey, or what about rasbora?

Cobault

I have 6 Bolivan Rams with 10 Discus and 50 Cardinals in my 125 Gallon Aquarium. You must see to appreciate.

beowulf

Your cardinals hide?  I was under the impression they where a schooling fish that stayed out in the open.

BigDaddy

I would get more SAE's, as they are schooling fish as well, very active, and good algae eaters.  I'd also add to your cardinals... maybe a dozen total.

beowulf

Quote from: BigDaddy on March 01, 2007, 04:20:04 PM
I would get more SAE's, as they are schooling fish as well, very active, and good algae eaters.  I'd also add to your cardinals... maybe a dozen total.

In a 33g?

BigDaddy

A dozen cardinals isn't really a huge bioload.  Nor is a small school of SAE's.  Those coupled with 2 rams and a pleco isn't overdoing it by any stroke... especially in a planted tank.

beowulf

Quote from: BigDaddy on March 01, 2007, 04:40:34 PM
A dozen cardinals isn't really a huge bioload.  Nor is a small school of SAE's.  Those coupled with 2 rams and a pleco isn't overdoing it by any stroke... especially in a planted tank.

I guess I am looking at the size of my SAE and thinking that a 33g in time might get a little crowded depending on the number with the rest. 

neon

So from what I can gather, I really don't have much of an option when it comes to tankmates for the Rams.  I do love the look of the cardinals though, so I'll look into getting more of those.  Thanks everyone.