Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ICK!!!

Started by neon, March 08, 2007, 07:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

Now I have Ick, what next.  I'm sure running into a bad stretch of luck with my tank.  I purchased 5 gold tetras a week ago from LFS, now 2 of them have ick and 1 of my cardinals.  I dosed with quickcure yesterday, and again this morning.  It says cure in 2 days, but it dosn't look any better.  Its an old bottle, but no expiry date on it.  What else should I do?  Will salt hurt my plants? (Would be nice if it killed the algae) lol

gonna_b_no_1

First, get a quarantine tank!  Never dump freshly bought fish into your main tank right away.  Quarentine them for 2 weeks.  That way if they are going to get sick, it won't be in your tank.

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Ich

beowulf

I would slowly raise the temp in the tank to high 80s, just make sure your fish are not gasping for air.  Also did you remove any carbon from the filter?  If you forgot it will absorb more of the medication.  A little salt won't hurt and is worth adding.

neon

I don't use carbon, and I;ll try and raise the temp a bit.  I'll try the salt, but will it hurt my plants?

beowulf

as long as you follow the instructions and dont overdue the salt it should not hurt them.  I have added salt in the past with no ill-effect to my plants.