Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hospice care for a fish?

Started by PuddleDuck, March 12, 2007, 04:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuddleDuck

I have a discus that is on her way out- she's pretty old, very thin, and her back and fins are now very bent. I imagine she's in quite a bit of pain but it's not like I can ask her! This may sound silly, but is there a way to comfort this fish?  :-[

KLKelly

My goldfish are like family.   I have clove oil on hand if I ever need to help one of them go as peacefully as possible.  I've done the research and this is my preference.  If I could get my hands on finquel - this would be my number one option but I haven't found it in Canada yet.

I'm sure you will get lots of advice from people on euthanasia and will have to make a choice of what is best for you.

I haven't read anything about lessening suffering and keeping them alive though.  I'll be reading the responses you get to learn more. I also don't know about discuss health.  They are beautiful fish.  I'm sorry she's ailing.

PuddleDuck

H there,
  Thanks. I'm really not sure what to do- and I dont want to get into moral debates about euthanasia  ;) I'm not opposed to it, but I also dont know how long she will live. Its been gradually getting worse for her, but its at the point I just feel so sorry for her...

Crumpet

I'm sorry to hear about your discus friend.  It is definitely not silly to hope we can comfort our pets when they are getting older/ailing, and that includes our fish.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

PuddleDuck

It would be easier if someone would say "do this!"  :-\ But I know thats not the case. I just dont want her going over "the rainbow bridge" right now if she isnt in pain, but Im not sure if she is.

Crumpet

If she's still eating there's always hope. :)

PuddleDuck

Oh I doubt it- she looks like she got cruble up like a piece of paper...before this she was very pale. She's just an old fish on her way out- I dont think she is sick .

babblefish1960

If you look back in the euthanasia thread, you will find a number of good links and advice on how to do it humanely rather than leaving her to waste away. Good luck and sorry to hear, just curious, how old is the old girl?

Crumpet

Quote from: PuddleDuck on March 12, 2007, 06:21:53 PM
Oh I doubt it- she looks like she got cruble up like a piece of paper...before this she was very pale. She's just an old fish on her way out- I dont think she is sick .

It sounds like you both may be ready then?  If so, babble has suggested a good idea.

Again, best wishes for you both

PuddleDuck

Im not sure how old she is- I got her fully grown about 1.5-2 years ago and suspect she was old-ish then (her eyes were pretty cloudy and remained so after meds.