Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Timid Fish Problem

Started by dpatte, March 11, 2007, 05:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

(As some of you know from the Christmas Party at my place) I have a 75 gallon with yellow labs and demasonii. Though the fish are gorgeous together, the fish are so timid that when I enter the room they all hide out in the rocks, and I never see them.

I was thinking of dithers, something really calm or stupid, to help calm them down.

What would people suggest as good dithers, or companions for such a tank, to draw my fish out?

I'm thinking of adding a few buffaloheads, perhaps, but does anyone have other suggestions that would be consistant for an african tank.

kennyman

When I had Mbuna they would get pretty upset with me every time I poked around their tank. The first time I tore the tank down to catch a few for auction the ones that were left would hide every time I came in the room. It took several weeks for them to forgive me for that disturbance! But eventually they would always come back to their food hungry ways and beg at the glass when I came to look at them. I could always tell when they were happy because I got splashed in the face before I could get the lid closed at feeding  :D

How often are you having to move stuff around or put a net in there?

dpatte

except for cleaning the tank glass and water changes, i havent done much to the tank, and its been like this since the beginning of December!

I need to get some fish that stay out in the open, so they know they are safe.

Nerine

I have some rainbows in with my africans...it keeps them all busy :) and they all get along
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

pegasus

Demasoni and Yellow labs should not be hiding unless they fear aggression from you.  ;)
One way is to feed them only when they are out, in small amount until you leave the room. This way they should figure out that your presence mean diner is ready.  :) 2-3 days without food , they will show up.
Increasing the temperature by 2 degree for a few days could also help.