Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What kind of snail

Started by normc, March 13, 2007, 06:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

See picture

[attachment deleted by admin]

Laura

Looks like a MTS, Malaysian Trumpet Snail to me. 
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

KLKelly

I have one of them and was told it was a trumpet snail.  No clue how it got in the new 90 gallon or how it survived in a tank of snail hunters.

normc

I put it in for the clown loaches. Now that they are gone it reappeared ;D

babblefish1960

The malaysian trumpet snail is a live bearing snail with a very tough shell that few fish can crush, but they are a very valuable resource in helping establish a healthy substrate and good use of detritus and mulm, terrific little snails that don't eat plants. I just love these things, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would try and get rid of these, they are such an important part of the eco system.

gonna_b_no_1

QuoteI cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would try and get rid of these, they are such an important part of the eco system.

I'll never get rid of all of mine, I love them too! My populations are so healthy that I can easily thin it out and be fine in another week or 2  lol

PrincessFish

BabbleFish thanks so much for mentionning the MTS!!  I'm a convert!  I'm totally in awe of these little MTS fellas!!!  My pretty coloured rocks are pretty colours again . . . already!  These fellas are even more efficient than I expected and they are a blast to watch too.
       Also, now that the CO2 is back up and running well, my pH is back to 7.0 and the bolivians are back to courting instead of shooing the female away to the centre of the tank all alone.
       This hobby is so much more fun than I ever expected.  The big armchair now sits facing the tank and I recline frequently  :)
       Sweet fishy dreams . . .

pF