Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

need helpful info

Started by patria, March 25, 2007, 11:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patria

hello everyone, I bought some discus from sp on Friday and they look good, but when the lights are on they go to a corner and when i have the moon lights on they swim everywere, is this normal. I also lowered my Ph to somewhere in between 6 and 6.5 and added the stabilizer to it, but in a few hours its back to my local tap water Ph around 7.2. is there any advice i can get to keep the Ph stable.

tks Dave

normc

The only thing I did was put in some driftwood, other than that I don't worry about PH the most important things are regular water changes and temperature 29-30 C).
Once my got used to the tank they come out in front. Try some frozen food not krill the pieces are to big. Good luck

sas

Give your Discus time to get used to their new home....usually a couple of days. Any other fish in with them? I find putting some "dithers" Think that's the word? Small schooling fish, makes the Discus feel safer? Ah You're probably wanting to get them to eat........ try dropping their food right in front of their noses, but you'll want to do almost daily water changes since you'll probably be polluting the water with all the excess food? As far as your Ph is be careful, it can be a constant battle and you might just want to let the discus get used to your Ph out of the tap? Having said that we use peat pellets in our filters due to our very hard water. HTH

BigDaddy

As was already mentioned, don't bother adjusting the pH.  Discus will live quite happily in 7.2 pH water.

As far as their shyness goes, you just got 'em on Friday... give them a few more days to get used to their surroundings and things should improve.

How many discus did you buy, and what size tank do you have them in?

patria

hi, i got 6 vary nice ones, about 2.5 inch, they are in my planted 67 gallon tank. tks for everyones help. also how long does it take for them to grow and what size do they bread at?

Dave