Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Acckkkkk!!!!! I have babies!!

Started by RedFish, March 25, 2007, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFish

I had to move my 12 gallon so that I could set up my new 29 on the table where the 12 was, which I did by removing most of the water, leaving the fish in and then putting the water back.   About 5 minutes after I had replaced the water into the 12 I looked into the tank and I see Mom with a few dozen babies!!!!!!!   Ok I am officially freaked out!

I bought a pair of A. Cacatuoides Double Red at the OVAS Auction, what was that, a few weeks ago at the most?

I thought, if they ever breed, cool, but thats not why I bought them, and I was warned that having Cardinals in the tank, that the cardinals would eat fry.   But the cardinals in there now are babies themselves.

So now the beggars have gone and made babies, what do I do now?   Set up the 29 and move the Dad and the cardinals to the 29 and leave mom and babies?   Or move everyone if I can - geeze Louise, what will I do if they all survive.....

Is this a case of bad fishkeeping?  If I am not prepared to have extras tanks and raise the fry, should I separate Mom and Dad?  Or will putting them into the 29 with some larger cardinals take care of the circle of life??

Advice please....

BigDaddy

Good job on the breeding.  I'd pull the cardinals for now, as yes they will hunt down the fry.

Do you have brine shrimp?  If not, grab some frozen bbs or some fry powder for the young as they are free swimming now. 

Eventually, you can move the parents to the 29... and leave the 12 as a grow out for the fry.  I'm sure you'll be able to give them good homes to fellow OVAS'ers in the near future.

beowulf

Cool!!!  I have a nice male and I am looking for a couple of females so when they grow out I would be interested in a few.