Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to this and have a question..........

Started by friday, March 26, 2007, 08:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

friday

Hello there everyone,I am new to this whole forum,heard about OVAS through a friend and am in dire need of some help....I have a 70 gallon tank, well planted and have lost 6 of my wonderful angels in the past month!!!Little cotton tumors are appearing on their bodies and then they are dying!!!When I notice the cotton tumors, within 24-48 hrs the fish are dead! If anyone knows what this is caused by and how I can cure it please let me know!!!!Also..does anyone know of a good angelfish breeder in Ottawa?...Oh...and these are freshwater angels.....
Thank You for ur time....

sniggir

Talk to Loyed of ottawadiscus he breeds angels and also gets in WC ones aswell
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

kennyman

The first things people are going to want to know is how long the tank has been ruining, what water parameters you can test for and what schedule of maintenance you have.

Most times fish can not fight off disease because of less than optimal living conditions.

KLKelly

I agree on the water quality - stresses the fish making them less able to fight infections.
The people here can help you trouble shoot and determine whether this was a factor.
Do you have a good test kit?  What were the numbers like?  How often for water changes, temperature etc.

Here is a link to something that might have been the problem: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm
Although columnaris looks like a fungus its actually bacterial.  I've had rainbow fish affected by it.

I hope you are able to have better luck the next time around. 

I'm not sure how long bacteria/parasites last without a host - I think you should get advice on making sure you can get more fish and not have them affected by what hit your first fish.

Best of luck.

Karrie

homestar726

My Mollies went through the same thing when my tank was cycling. They developped what looked like a fungus infection (not ick), and they were dead in no time fast. out of 6 only one survived. The explination I got was, that because the tank was cycling, and because I added a krib (Cichlid), the stree on the fish madew their immune system basically stop. Their for they got a fungus infection and died shortly after. I have my water checked and it turns out the NitrItes were really high, and that is the worse part of the cycle..

Post your water paramaters, it might have something to do with your tank plague.