Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

@#$@# filter tubing

Started by fishycanuck, April 12, 2007, 09:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishycanuck

Last weekend, I had to take apart my Eheim filter output line to get some gunk out. It is assembled in what I take to be a pretty conventional manner - the cannister is in the cabinet under the tank - tubing with stopcock valves and quick release connects to flexible tubing, connects to firm elbow piece to get over the top of the tank, then another piece down in to the tank, another elbow connecting to the ?spray bar (not sure if that is the real name). Had a heck of a time pushing it all together, each time I connected one thing, the other side would pop out. I don't remember it being so hard when I first assembled the filter.

Now, for some reason, the spray bar is sitting at a diagonal and all the holes are under water, pointing down. If I try to bring it up to roughly horizontal with the holes pointning up, something wiggles loose.

This concerns me because now there isn't the current of water breaking the surface tension in the tank.

Does it matter? If so, how do I fix it?   >:(

babblefish1960

Ah poor lass, now that I have stopped laughing so hard, I'll see if I can add anything to your frustrating situation with hoses and spray bars.  ;)

You're so cute when you're angry.

The tubing that is connecting to the elbows and spray bar is possibly drying out, no worries, just twist it about until it sticks more securely. The bit about the spray bar pointing into the water is just simply a matter of twisting the bar about until the little holes point to where you want them to point. Sometimes a wee bit of brute force and ignorance go a long way, clasp the tubing for the elbow that connects to the spray bar firmly, and the spray bar too, and wriggle the little blighters until they co-operate.

If you are still struggling and cursing the moon and the sky for your troubles, I'm sure someone could come over and taunt you further whilst correcting the position to your personal satisfaction. ;)

fishycanuck

Babble, you naughty ratbag.

I believe that I am incapable of brute force, I know I am incapable of ignorance. I might ask the DH to supply some muscle. Does it even matter which way the holes point?

babblefish1960

Well fishy dear you nutty batrag.

The DH should be able to give you some brute force, good luck finding the ignorance though.

The holes can point wherever you like, they are your holes after all, just don't point them straight up, that could be disastrous. It only matters for what it is that you want them to be doing. If you want surface agitation because you like that and the noise, then point them at the surface, if you have plants and hate the noise of running water, point them more below the surface. It matters not one whit where you point them, as long as they make you happiest wherever they are pointing in the end.

There is the rub however, how can one achieve personal happiness by merely directing the little holes in their spray bars to spray in tune with their idea of the natural order of things?

Good luck with your current situation. Sorry I couldn't resist fishybaby. ;D

charlie

Quote from: babblefish1960 on April 12, 2007, 10:08:08 PM

The tubing that is connecting to the elbows and spray bar is possibly drying out,
If this is the case , just replace the tubing  & all should be well, i might have a small piece - which model  is it?
Regards

fishycanuck

Thanks, Charlie - I'm ignoring Babblenut.

babblefish1960

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.