Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Crazy Filter Bet

Started by homestar726, March 26, 2007, 07:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homestar726

Ok Guys... Heres another good one...

My coz and dont agree on the following... Just looking for a consenses to see if im right or wrong.

The idea is to have two identical fluvals running between two tanks. a 65g and maybe a 20g sump right under it. I tend to think that you may never get the flow right, and up end either draining the sump tank or having it overflow... Is this idea pratical? Or should the tank just be drilled for a traditional sump system?

Shawn

kennyman

totally pointless to use a sump in that fashion  :-\

PoisonJello

I think i understand what you are talking about...you mean one fluval sucks from first tank and drains into the second tank, then second fluval sucks from second tank and drains to the first tank, you will be in definate trouble

eventually one tank will be empty and the other will be overflowing because if one fluval clogs even a bit the water flow will be off and then you will be WET  ;D

homestar726

Thats what I thought... And doesnt gravity play a role in the speed aswell? the one emptying the big tank would be faster than the pump resupplying?

PoisonJello

yes gravity would make it be a little faster, either way its a bad idea  ;)  if he has 2 fluvals just put one on each tank

sniggir

If he is ab;e to modify the flow it may work for alittle while but is it worth the risk if he wants to run a sump run a sump, get the tank drilled and do the plumbing or have a ton of water on the floor....I am play the dangerous game myself... and asoon as I have the time to finish the plumbing I will not be dabling in the waterfall in my living room  bizzz lol I just hope I have time soon...i wake up like 2 times a night  :'(
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

bitterman

You are looking for trouble trying this. If you want a sump set it up properly otherwise there might be a river of water coming twards you from your tanks.

Additionally, If the sump/smaller tank is lower, odds are it will be hard to prime the pump/filter. Also if 1 pump fails, or the power goes out water could syphon fromt he top tank to the bottom tank and make it overflow.... Too many possible problems!!!

Bruce

babblefish1960

You have some good advice here, unless you're prepared to have an emergency, which you will have, it is best to just use the filters as filters and leave the theoretical science of perpetual motion for the crazies. The problems presented far outweigh any possible benefits, and whatever fish you may be stocking won't really appreciate the continual sudden losses of water.

It is good practice to not argue with nature, you'll always lose. :)