Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Quick Common Pleco Question

Started by scorpion-stinger, March 26, 2007, 09:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpion-stinger

Hi, is it dangerous to put a baby common pleco (3") in with a 8" one? The question I was asking is that I found my 3" pleco dead  :-[ and the large one was sucking on him.  ???

Many thanks 

Crumpet

The small one may have died of other causes, and the larger one was scavenging.  Did you see the larger one bullying the smaller one?

homestar726

From what have read, pleco's are not agressive against each other or against anyone else really. Like crumpet said if must have died form other causes, and the big one just found a tasty meal...

Where did you get the baby pleco?? BA's? Cause my gf got one there that died the same day from apparantly nothing. She spoke to them and they said they got a bad batch, and gave her a credit to get a new one when they get a new batch in...

scorpion-stinger

ok thanks, was curious, and no I didnt get it at BA's got it at walmart  ??? :-\

Cheers

homestar726

sweetness85

had the same thing happen with a few of my angels. quite a while ago one was found dead with a hole right through it.  i was mind boggled!  the the other day i got a few angels that i think were sick because half died on me but back to the topic one of the ones that were dead was stuck on the intake for the filter with a pleco attached to it...i stuck my hand in to get it and low and behold there was a hole almost clean through it.  these were algae eaters bought at wal-mart...not sure the difference between a pleco and an algae eater but yep they will eat  dead fish if they find any and they seem to love it!

BigMomma

Quote from: scorpion-stinger on March 26, 2007, 09:36:34 PM
Hi, is it dangerous to put a baby common pleco (3") in with a 8" one? The question I was asking is that I found my 3" pleco dead  :-[ and the large one was sucking on him.  ???
Well generally plecos are not aggressive, however as they become older they do tend to get aggressive and territorial. Now 8 inches is a good size, I would say that fish needs his space. If you want a less aggressive pleco you may want to get a bushynose, they only grow up to about 4 inches and are pretty passive. Also, make sure to keep a good size piece of driftwood in your tank, that's usually their favorite spot.

mseguin

Male pelcos can be quite territorial. Although my first guess would be natural causes for the smaller pleco

scorpion-stinger

ok and yes I have 3 peice of nice size drift wood, but I'll probably sell the large 8" pleco and go for a few bn ones instead. \if anyone is interested in it let me know or i'll trade for some BN, not sure how much they go for (my large pleco). Thanks all for the info  ;D