Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My finished canopies

Started by RedFish, March 31, 2007, 08:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFish

DH finished building the canopies and I varnished them and got the second 29 gallon up last weekend.
This is the finished product.   They sit about 10 feet from my computer desk so when I am working I have my little sea right where I can watch them.
The cabinets are Ikea, when we created our office we used their cabinets and tables.   The cabinets are full of work stuff so fishy things are in separate storage.

I am plenty pleased with the results.   The tank on the left is the established one with lots of busy fish in it.
The tank on the right has cardinals which mostly hide from view, but they are so beautiful when they come out.

groan

looks great and wonderful idea using the ikea stuff! was probably much cheaper than buying a custom fishy stand!

inspiration for when i want to convince my wife i want a tank upstairs...;)

charlie

Congrats Redfish , tanks are looking great.

sas

Nice job! You should be very proud of yourself they are beautiful.

PaleoFishGirl

Those look incredible! It must be lovely to sit and look at them :)

catfishsteve

Ya looks great.
How much are they selling those cabinets? are they 48 x18?

jodes22

Beautiful, great job on the canopies! What a great idea using the Ikea cabinets... I may just steal it for my 10g ;)

babblefish1960

Well I hope you gave a big thanks to the DH for the lovely canopies, and mounted on the IKEA office cabinets gives them a very dignified appearance. The entire arrangement must make being in the office a great feeling. I would suggest that you not keep ultra important papers in the cabinets in the unlikely event of water seepage, heaven forbid of course.

Have you any details of the new hoods, such as what you used for lighting and how you get the food in there and things like that?

Nice pictures!

RedFish

Thank you all for the nice comments  :)

For those who asked, these Ikea cabinets were not cheap compared to a tank stand, I guess they figure if you want an office, the business can pay for it??

However they are very very sturdy.   The top dimensions are 33" x 16.6" - perfect for a 30" tank. 

The top consists of the wood frame, black L-shape aluminum (home depot) screwed into the wood.  It supports the wood on the top of the tank, and also gives the folding glass top a home.    The folding glass tops were 1/4 inch too large to fit the interior lip of these tanks, the sliding glass top would have worked but I like the flip top.
The costs were approx $10 in wood ( for both canopies), aluminum was $12 for an 8 foot piece, glass top each $22, plus the lighting.
So very reasonable.

You can't see it on the picture, but there is a small brass L-bracket on one side that the glass lid rests against when you open the top, so the lid won't rest on the lighting.

babblefish1960

Good marks to the DH for being so clever, it is simple, easy to use and an elegant solution to your particular needs. Thanks for the details, good luck with your next project, I'm almost positive I can smell something in the future for you to get good old DH to create for this clearly well cared for hobby. :)

I wonder where you'll put the next batch of tanks? ;)

beowulf

Toss

Looks great, Lynn! :)
If you place them together closely, It may look like you have 5' tank ;). At least if you decide to go with 5' tank, you already have everything ready  ;) :)
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS