Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

fishy mystery

Started by gonna_b_no_1, March 29, 2007, 05:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonna_b_no_1

I went down to the basement last week, in the morning, to feed my tanks on the fishy wall. Looked into my 10g with my 1 male, 2 female guppies, 2 otos and 1 baby golden apple snail. Watched the beautiful male dance for the females in an attempt to approach and breed.

Went back down after supper, to feed my fishy friends and kill all the lights.....looked into my 10g tank. No Male.

So I hop on my mini-ladder to stretch my neck over the tank and search behind the tank. Nope. I look in the tanks beside that one....nope. On the floor....under the shelfs...nope.

There is absolutely no sign of my male at all.

Now, I am sans male. My 2 females are pregnant, and I'm not very worried about going out to buy another male. The females are due to drop in the next week or 2, and I'll save their fry and pick out a male from that drop in a month or 2.

I know that he wasn't ill. He was in his "prime" with perfect coloring, activity levels at a high and he was eating normally.   Absolutely no signs of illness at all. 

He's just gone! 

Sadly to say I even accused my mom, who babysat for me, of selling him to one of the local kids who comes to buy fish off me.  lol  She swears no one came to buy fish while she babysat! ???

Quatro

I have heard stories of missing fish turning up in the filter.  What type of filter do you have and have you already checked there?

gonna_b_no_1

Yeah, I had an elite stingray (pretty hard for adult fish to get pulled into these)

I did check it, nothing in there.

just weird

babblefish1960

They jump, often, and for reasons known only to them sometimes, he is there in the room somewhere, keep looking.

gonna_b_no_1

Well, I'll probably find a dried up raisin of a guppy eventually, or the cat made off with a snack.  Either way I'm not tearing my shelving apart to search for him.   ::)

hamstercaster

Unless the females caught the Praying Mantis syndrome and just had a good sushi meal with a glass of Chianti ;-)

homestar726

maybe the cat is the culprit... I know they can be craafty with fishing poles...

washefuzzy

Yeah I swear I had 9 danios but only seem to be able to count 8. Though the are really really hard to count since they never stop zipping about.
That's to bad your guppy took a flying leap!

PoisonJello

oh you wanted that fish your mom said i could have it, she told me you would never miss just one fish

gonna_b_no_1